Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

TIP: Finding additional children from a marriage

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MarkMorgan

MarkMorgan Report 2 Jun 2010 18:47

I’d like to share a tip with readers. This may be obvious to seasoned genealogists but those new to the hobby may not have spotted this.

The last census you have is the 1911 census but you can find additional children born to a couple using a useful searching technique on FreeBMD and the birth registration changes that occurred in the September Quarter of 1911 – which was when the mother’s maiden name was added to the index.

For example you may have the couple on the 1911 census married in 1908 and with one child born in 1910. Skip over to FreeBMD, select SEARCH, click births and enter the father’s surname (i.e. the name the possible children will be registered with), leave the First Name blank and enter the Spouse/Mother Surname (i.e. Mother’s Maiden Name). Enter 1911 in the start date range and click find. You can limit the results by selecting the correct county or district name that you expect them to be registered in based on where they are living in 1911.

Hopefully you now have two or three possible additional children for the union. To increase the probability that these children do in fact belong to this union search for other couples getting married in the same locality with the same surname combination in the preceding ten or fifteen years. This technique works after 1911 all the way up to wherever FreeBMD have indexed up to in the 1930s but the further you move from the 1911 date the less certain a location confirmation you have, unless you have some other evidence to back that up.

Obviously this works better with less common surnames and is certainly not bullet-proof.

HTH,
Mark.

SpanishEyes

SpanishEyes Report 2 Jun 2010 20:52

Thank You Mark

I have book marked this and will give it a try in the next week or two'

Bridget

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 3 Jun 2010 01:29

Mark, you are quite right. Seasoned genealogists already know this. But newbies will welcome your post. Pity GR don't have a separate section for newbies with these hints and tips.