Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

PAF Files to Genes

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

leedsloiner

leedsloiner Report 3 Jun 2010 08:17

I use the Mormons free PAF files for my Family History. Is it possible to export from PAF to Genes? Not been successful & it is taking too long to keep separate files going.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 3 Jun 2010 11:52

I don't use PAF but it should have an export option, probably under File then Export. Export format should a gedcom v 5.5 and save to you computer.

Go in to GR and run a file import., follow the prompts and select the file you have just created.

You say you have not been successful. What has been the problem?

leedsloiner

leedsloiner Report 3 Jun 2010 13:04

Thanks for your info. I have exported the PAF onto my computer & it definitely says it is a GEDCOM file. Each time I try to upload it from my computer to Genes, Genes tries to import and always comes up with "Sorry there has been an unexpected error" Any further help would be appreciated.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 3 Jun 2010 16:58

Without seeing the file you are trying to load it is difficult to say. Are you sure that you are trying to upload the gedcom created by PAF, and not the PAF program itself?

The other thing that comes to mind is that your own details on GR must match the ones on the file you loading.

If you can't sort it I can have a look at the file you are trying to upload - pm me with your email address and I will get back to you off-site

leedsloiner

leedsloiner Report 4 Jun 2010 05:13

Thanks. I hate giving up but I have followed your instructions and those of Genes & LDS & I am no further forward! I will PM you.

Eddieisagrandad

Eddieisagrandad Report 4 Jun 2010 15:16

I tried to upload a gedcom to genes that I downloaded from ancestry.
All the details and personal info, dates etc were lost and the comments boxes were all filled up with nonsense, nothing was correct so I don't even bother with the tree here anymore.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 5 Jun 2010 07:06

Eddie,

The most likely reason for that is that your dates were recorded in a non-standard format. Problems can also arise if you put things like "qtr 1 1850" in a date field, or bet 1890-1900" some programs or web based trees will accept it but when you try and transfer using gredcom it all goes wrong. Using characters such as - + / * can also cause issues. The reason you see what looks like rubbish is that some of the fields have split at the wrong point, moving subsequent fields into the wrong slot.

If you create your gedcoms from a commercial program such as FTM then these issues are rarely a problem importing to other websites.