Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

GRO page no 1140/s SORTED Thankyou

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Moody Blue

Moody Blue Report 5 Jun 2010 23:01

Please can anyone tell me what this sort of page number means if anything re a birth entry?

vol 5f page 1140/s

Moody Blue

Moody Blue Report 5 Jun 2010 23:12

Hi Jan,

It's a 1957 2nd qtr entry in the name of Ryan also mistranscribed by Ancestry as 1340/s but original is handwritten at bottom of page as 5f 1140/s.

Moody Blue

Moody Blue Report 6 Jun 2010 00:17

Willesden Middlesex

Moody Blue

Moody Blue Report 6 Jun 2010 00:18

Thankyou, Somerset Girl

Moody Blue

Moody Blue Report 6 Jun 2010 00:23

Thankyou Brummiejan for your interest.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 6 Jun 2010 00:42

The S suffix was used in the 60s/70s and early 80s to denote a name change or adoption. In this case it looks like an update to the registration for the Female Ryan listed at the end of the Ryans.

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 6 Jun 2010 00:45

Actually, the were 3 Ryans with same MMN born in that district. It could be twins or triplets?

Rose

Moody Blue

Moody Blue Report 6 Jun 2010 00:53

Thankyou Rose, I'm very grateful for your information.
MB

mgnv

mgnv Report 6 Jun 2010 01:44

I agree the entry is 1140/s, but I'm still a bit puzzled.

There are 4175 index entries for Willesden in 1957, so abt 4000 b.certs spread over 800 pages in the registers. Now the 1957q2 register seems to run from 266 thru 478 for Willesden. (One can stick a page # in as a keyword on Ancestry - don't enter a county (MDX) as Ancestry seems to locate Willesden in in Surrey, Kent.)

So your lass gets a very unusual page # aside from the /s suffix.

Moody Blue

Moody Blue Report 6 Jun 2010 09:06

Thankyou mgnv................I think the only way would be to purchase the certificate

MB

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 6 Jun 2010 11:20

Moody Blue. Before you order the certificate telephone them and ask them what it all means. I have just discovered the benefits of speaking with them, they are very helpful and obliging. You might have to buy the certificate however it won't hurt to talk first.

Edit. Oh heavens that sounds like I am disbelieving of the other information provided here. No it's not that at all. As I said I have just discovered talking to them works wonders!!!!

Kay????

Kay???? Report 6 Jun 2010 12:20

It looks a GRO addition into the index by GRO,as for some reason it wasnt entered ,but will be in the GRO actual birth registers.
If you look at the image you can see where alphabetically its been missed out.

Moody Blue

Moody Blue Report 6 Jun 2010 13:14

Thankyou everyone for your input...it is much appreciated.

I have noticed that there are a great number of these sort of entries throughout the GRO pages -written against regular page numbers too- and would think that it is an amendment of sorts.

MB

edit:-

It was a christian name amendment.