Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WWI crew list for HMS Canada

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Helen

Helen Report 8 Jun 2010 08:25

Hi - I wonder if anyone can help me with this? I have just inherited a huge box of photos from my late grandmother, and found an unlabelled one of a WW1 soldier and sailor, probably brothers. The only clue I have is the sailor's cap has HMS Canada on it. I've been able to establish that this ship was indeed in WWI, but I would love to be able to find a crew list so I can see if there are any names I recognise. Any help on where I can get this information would be very much appreciated as I've not done any naval research before.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 8 Jun 2010 15:27

HMS Canada
Built Armstrong, laid down December 1911, completed November 1915, cost estimated £2,500,000.

Size:
Length 654 feet 10 inch waterline 661 feet overall, beam 92 feet, draught 29feet 6inches (normal), displacement 26,968 tons light 32,188 tons deep

Propulsion:
4 shaft Parsons/Brown Curtis turbines, 37,000 shp, 22kts

Trials: 52,682 shp = 24.3 knots

Armour:
9-4in belt, 10-6in barbettes, 10in turret faces, 4-1in decks

Armament:
10 x 14in 45cal MK I (5 x 2), 16 x 6in (16 x 1), 4 x 3 pounder (6 x 1), 2 x 3in (2 x 1), 4 x 21in TT

Comments:
Originally ordered for Chile as Almirante Latorre the ship was purchased from Chile in September 1914 and renamed Canada. A sister ship Almirante Cochrane was also ordered but less far advanced when the war started and was eventually purchased and completed as the aircraft carrier HMS Eagle. The 14 inch guns of the main armament were similar in performance to the Royal Navy 13.5 inch gun. Like Agincourt she was faster than the equivalent royal Navy ships but with inferior protection. Crew 1,167.

World War 1 Service:
October 1915 joined 4th Battle Squadron Grand Fleet.
Present at the Battle of Jutland 1916. Fired 42 14in rounds and received no damage.
12 June transferred to 1st Battle Squadron.
April 1920 re-purchased by Chile.
1959 Sold for scrap.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 8 Jun 2010 15:28

World War 1 Pictures
World War 1 Pictures. World War 1 Naval warfare including the Battles of Heligoland Bight, ... A picture of the former British battleship HMS Canada. ...

www.worldwar1.co.uk/pictures.html - 7k - Similar pages

[ More results from www.worldwar1.co.uk ]

http://www.worldwar1.co.uk/pictures.html

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 8 Jun 2010 15:30

World War One Naval Art
Naval art print collection of World War One naval paintings and prints. ... HMS Canada. HMS Canopus. HMS Chester. HMS Clio. HMS Colossus. HMS Conqueror ...

www.cranstonmilitaryprints.com/world_war_one_nav... - 26k - Similar pages

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 8 Jun 2010 16:20

There may be records of the ship at Kew. You can search the documents online site for men who joined the Royal Navy up to 1923, so you could search for any likely names! The index should give name, year and place of birth so you can perhaps identify anybody relevant before you download their record. Each record costs £3-50.