Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WW1 deaths

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carol

Carol Report 8 Jun 2010 11:46

My grt uncle Josiah Saville 1894-1918 was killed in France Oct 11th 1918.I have his unit ACC.How do I find out where he died?

Thelma

Thelma Report 8 Jun 2010 12:08

CWGC
Name: SAVILLE
Initials: J
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Army Cyclist Corps
Unit Text: 6th Bn.
Date of Death: 11/10/1918
Service No: 20484
Additional information: Son of James and Emma Saville.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: III. B. 15.
Cemetery: ST. AUBERT BRITISH CEMETERY

Rambling

Rambling Report 8 Jun 2010 12:09

This him?
SAVILLE
Initials: J
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Army Cyclist Corps
Unit Text: 6th Bn.
Date of Death: 11/10/1918
Service No: 20484
Additional information: Son of James and Emma Saville.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: III. B. 15.
Cemetery: ST. AUBERT BRITISH CEMETERY

Have you access to Ancestry there seems to be a record with a number of images, if you don't have i will look for you

Thelma

Thelma Report 8 Jun 2010 12:50

I cannot find place of death.Just states "field"
British Army WWI Service Records, 1914-1920
about Josiah Saville
Name: Josiah Saville
Residence: 28 Ashfield St, Hollinwood Oldham
Document Year: 1914
Regiment Name: WR Divl Cycle Coy
Number of Images: 35

Denis

Denis Report 8 Jun 2010 13:26

Well the CWGC entry says that the cemetery was begun on 12 October after the capture of the village, and he was killed on 11 October, along with many others, so that would seem to point to him being killed there.

Rambling

Rambling Report 8 Jun 2010 13:41

Denis,I was just about to add that :)

St. Aubert is a village in the Department of the Nord, approximately 13 kilometres east of Cambrai. From Cambrai follow the D942 road towards Solesmes. About 12 kilometres from Cambrai and just after Avesnes les Aubert, turn left onto the D297 towards St Aubert. After approximately 2 kilometres turn left onto the D97 road towards Avesnes les Aubert. The British Cemetery is about 800 metres down this road on the right.

Historical Information: The cemetery was begun by the 24th Division on 12 October 1918, just after the capture of the village. Other units continued to use it until 23 October, by which time it contained 33 graves of the 3rd Rifle Brigade and 24 others, most of the current Plot I. After the Armistice, further graves were brought in from small cemeteries in the area and and from the battlefields of Cambrai (November-December 1917) and Cambrai and the Selle (October 1918). The cemetery now contains 435 burials and commemorations of the First World War. 41 of the burials are unidentified but there is a special memorial to one casualty believed to be buried among them. Other special memorials commemorate three casualties known to have been buried in Avesnes-le-Sec Communal Cemetery, St. Aubert Communal Cemetery German Extension and Paillencourt German Cemetery, whose graves could not be found. The cemetery was designed by Charles Holden.

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 8 Jun 2010 13:47

For your information, the War Graves Photographic Project have photographed his headstone.
You can obtain copies by email or a hard copy through the post, however they do ask for a donation of £3-00 for emailed version or £5-00 for one through the post, its a question of whether or not this is something you would like.

Here is the link to the site

http://www.twgpp.org/information.php?id=2361614

Details

Cemetery: St. Aubert British Cemetery

Area: Nord

Official Number: 20484

Unit: 6th Bn. Army Cyclist Corps.

Force: Army

Nationality: British

Details:
11th October 1918. Age 24. Son of James and Emma Saville. III. B. 15.

George

mgnv

mgnv Report 9 Jun 2010 03:50

The War Diary for the 6th bn ACC should say where the bn was. Your guy's death won't be mentioned explicitly - the entry for the 11th will probably just say 3 Other Ranks killed or somesuch.

Carol

Carol Report 9 Jun 2010 12:40

Thanks for advice,didn't know what threads were.Carol