Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Thomas Moor (Moore/Hetherington)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joyce

Joyce Report 9 Jun 2010 09:12

Thomas Moor was the son of Ruth Moor who married John Hetherington in 1852 (Thomas was baptized on the same day) He later took up the name of Hetherington I am looking for his birth but am unable to trace it. Anyone out there that can help, he had a sister Hannah Hetherington who later became Crozier,

Julie

Julie Report 9 Jun 2010 09:14

When was he born

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 9 Jun 2010 11:43

His christening? On BVRI:

MOOR, Thomas Christening
Christening Date: 10 Apr 1852 Recorded in: Lee, Northumberland, England
Collection: St John
Mother: Ruth MOOR
Source: FHL Film 1068897 Dates: 1752 - 1902

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 9 Jun 2010 11:50

There's a postem beside the marriage. Is it yours?

Marriages Jun 1852 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hetherington John Hexham 10b 305
MOOR Ruth Hexham 10b 305

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 9 Jun 2010 11:53

Could this be his birth?

Births Dec 1850 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moor Thomas Hexham 25 314

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 9 Jun 2010 11:58

He's Thomas Moor on the 61 census but only aged 9 making him born 1852.

Even though he's only 9 he's working as a lead ore washer. Poor kid!

Choccy

Choccy Report 9 Jun 2010 12:03

?

Births Sep 1851 (>99%)

Moore Thomas Hexham 25 335

Joyce

Joyce Report 10 Jun 2010 11:42

Yes we went up to the village where he was down the mines, some of it was still there and though perhaps we were standing at the actual stream where he was working. Apparently he did not actually go down the mine. I think he eventually worked for Lord Ridley with his Dad John, who was he gamekeeper, who it apears adopted him at some time as he became Hetherington later. I am unable to find his actual birth, yes the postem on the marriage certificate is mine, I think
Joyce

Joyce

Joyce Report 10 Jun 2010 11:43

Thanks, how do I look up this birth? What do the numbers mean?

Joyce

Joyce

Joyce Report 10 Jun 2010 11:44

Not sure, what does it say and how can I look at it.

Joyce

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 10 Jun 2010 12:50

You will have to order the birth certificate to get the details, Joyce. I think that the one that I posted is probably wrong, just a little too early for him to be 9 on the 61 census. The one that Choccy posted is probably the right one even though the surname is mis-spelled. The numbers beside it are volume and page numbers. so it's:
Births
September quarter 1851
Hexham
Thomas Moore
Volume 25
Page 335

Order from GRO :

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

Joyce

Joyce Report 11 Jun 2010 09:34

Thanks very much, I will do that. It is a pity they don't put the Mother's name on the entry like they did later.

Regards

Joyce