Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

West Ham register office 1919

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Donna

Donna Report 13 Jun 2010 15:03

I have a marriage cert for 1919.It says Marriage solemized at The Register Office in the District of West Ham in the counties of Essex East Ham C.B. and West Ham C.B.
Can anyone tell me if this building is still standing and its address please.
Looking for some kind of photograph of the actual building.

Thanks for your help

Donna

Donna Report 13 Jun 2010 15:24

Thanks for that. I have just had a look. I thought it would be a much grander building than that. remembering the 1980s hairstyles inthe picture. Can't believe mine looked like that and I thought it was so nice at the time lol.
Cheers

Kathlyn

Kathlyn Report 13 Jun 2010 17:53

West Ham registry office is in Stratford East. London

ann

ann Report 16 Jun 2010 22:13

I got married in West Ham Register office and my children were all registered there.It was in West Ham Lane, Stratford London E.15.The register office has moved to
Newham Registration Office,
London Borough of Newham,
207 Plashet Grove,
East Ham,
London E.6 IBT phone number 020 8430 3616 or 020 8430 3127

They might hold photos of the old register office.I know last time i went there to get a duplicate birth cert they had all the famous people on the wall that had been born in West Ham and East Ham. Annie

Donna

Donna Report 17 Jun 2010 20:59

Thanks Annie.
Thats very helpful.
One question please if you don't mind.
Were there any black iron ornate railings outside the building. Reason being is that I have an old photo and wondered if it was taken there. Trying to solve yet another puzzle my great grandmother left behind.

Thankyou
Donna

ann

ann Report 18 Jun 2010 20:14

Donna,My hubby lived in the next road and has never seen any iron railings.There is a park across the road that has black railings around it.Perhaps they had photos done in the park facing the register office? The park as we know it was called the Old Rec. West Ham Park was further down the road and that was the main park.Hope this helps. Annie