Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Which one ?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine

Christine Report 13 Jun 2010 22:58

Please could someone advise me..
I read on here sometimes about find my past...
Is this just like ancestory ?
Which one is the best?
Thanks
Christine

Cathy

Cathy Report 13 Jun 2010 23:06

They are both really good Christine but for different things.

I have subscriptions to both and I would hate to do without either but if I

had to chose it would be Ancestry. The only problem is that they don't

have the 1911 Census. Find my past is really good too though!

Kind regards,

Cathy

Christine

Christine Report 13 Jun 2010 23:11

Hi Cathy,
Thankyou, Can I ask which one is most expensive ?
Christine x

Cathy

Cathy Report 13 Jun 2010 23:21

Not sure Christine but you can get free trials with both so perhaps you

could try them both and see which one suits you best. I've had ancestry

for years and have all my trees on there and l renewed my Subs through

quidco last time and got a good deal.

Someone else might be able to advise you.....

Derek

Derek Report 13 Jun 2010 23:30

Christine.........here is what i do.........GR basic membership..is where you either seek help..or like me..you give it......a lot of us have a lot of records that we have gleaned from different places.and are glad to pass information on.........you only get to the actual records on here by upgrading your membership. But if you're looking for other people to help you this is where its at.

Ancestry is excellent for Census records....and for many others if.like me you upgrade.on Ancestry you do all your own work..it isn't really for sharing information, unles you knoe how to do it.

Find MY Past, as cathy says, is excellent, but if you have Ancestry and GR you son't need it..except that for a small subscription you do get access to the 1911 Census...and that id absolutley priceless, and i'll tell you why........

I do a lot of work on GR for anyone with Derbyshire connections..Parish rtecords etc........but there is a point where in order to take people back the 1911 Census is a vital link to all the others and back beyond 1837........for instance someone bornb say 1940 is liklley to have parents on the 1911 but probably not on the 1901.....but once you have 1911 infor it becomes a piece of cake to go back...........I only use Findmypast for the 1911 census............

Good luck.

Derek

Christine

Christine Report 14 Jun 2010 23:22

Dear Cathy and Derek....
You have been brilliant in helping me decide,Thankyou very very much,
Derek, you have explained it so well..
Many thanks
Christine x