Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The use of surnames as middle names in Ireland?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 15 Jun 2010 12:06

Would appreciate help with this, please.

Was the use of surnames as middle names common practice in Ireland in the mid to late 1800s?

I have two sisters baptised in Dublin, Ireland (Catholic) in 1887 (joint baptism, different dates of birth) who have distinctive, but different, surnames as middle names.

Was there some sort of 'naming pattern' for middle names specific to Ireland?...I can cope with England naming patterns/middle names but am lost in Ireland :-(

I have googled, till I am googled out, but cannot find anything about the use of surnames as middle names specific to Ireland.

Many thanks in advance

Chris

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 15 Jun 2010 13:18

I'm in Wales - my paternal grandmother was a Harman prior to marriage - my Dad's forename is Harman, my son's middle name is Harman and other members of our family have included Harman in their name somewhere

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 15 Jun 2010 14:40

Margaret and Ann

Like you I am leaning towards ancestral maiden names being used as middle names....Being used to English and Welsh (to a lesser extent) research!

However I did wonder if there was something 'peculiar' to Irish naming patterns that gave a precedent as to how middle names were allocated.

Many thanks to you both for your input

Chris

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 15 Jun 2010 15:38

Chris..To the best of my knowledge the "middle name" being a "surname" was found in Ireland but mainly in those who where of Scottish Ancestry or English aristocracy...
It was not a pattern common to those of Irish decent...
"Middle" names per se were not given at Birth and usually the Middle name was that taken at Baptism.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 15 Jun 2010 20:47

In many cultures not just in the UK it is very common for childrens middle names to be that of the mother or grandmother or even a favourite friend.

My fathers middle name was his g/grandmothers surname.

My partners sister named her first son "Scott" which had been her maiden name.

In Scotland I believe it was once a very popular tradition for the eldest daughter to have her mothers maiden name as her middle name.

In some instances this can prove very useful when looking for elusive women.

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 16 Jun 2010 09:56

Eringobragh and PigletsPal

Thank you to both of you for your comments.

Interesting that it wan't common practice to use surnames as middle names...I will have to hunt out the girl's siblings to see if they were given them too.

Many thanks again to everyone who has made comments/suggestions on his thread.

Chris