Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1911 census - help please !

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Angela

Angela Report 17 Jun 2010 11:00

good morning , i am trying to find my grandfather - daniel mcfadden on the 1911 census and having no luck . i have his service record for the royal navy which states he was with hms(?) blenheim at the time of the census . i don't know where the ship was at the time of the census or even if he was on board ! is there any way of finding out ? he was born donegal ireland in 1880 although his service record says 1886 !! thankyou , angela

Pat Kendrick

Pat Kendrick Report 17 Jun 2010 12:13

She served as a cruiser with the Channel Squadron until May 1908 when she joined the Mediterranean Fleet as a destroyer depot ship. She was sent to Mudros in March 1915 in support of the Mediterranean Expeditionary Force at the Battle of Gallipoli. She was scrapped in 1926 at Pembroke Dock.
She was built in 1890

Angela

Angela Report 17 Jun 2010 12:44

thanks pat , that's helpful.so she would have been in the med at the time of the census ?my grandad was with howe batt at gallipoli where he was wounded but survived . thankyou again , angela . ps . have to go to work now but will check back tomorrow .

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 17 Jun 2010 13:54

Here you are:

WATERSON, John Yorkam Head Married
3 years M 46 1865 Inn Keppers Takenham Norfolk VIEW
WATERSON, Jane Elizabeth Wife Married F 49 1862 Hadleigh Suffolk VIEW
WATERSON, Cyril Wake Son M 14 1897 Hadleigh Suffolk VIEW
BOWMAN, Edward Lodger Single F 35 1876 Tailor Ipswich Suffolk VIEW
BUNYAN, William Visitor Single M 24 1887 H M S Blanche Seaman Kent VIEW
FELLOWS, James Visitor Single F 35 1876 H M S Blanche Seaman Birmingham VIEW
MCTADDEN, Daniel Visitor Single M 28 1883 H M S Blemhiem Stokes Milford Ireland VIEW
STUDD, John Visitor Single F 35 1876 H M S Blanche Stokes Felixstown Suffolk VIEW

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RG number:
RG14 Piece:
10251 Reference:
RG14PN10251 RG78PN540 RD197 SD3 ED5 SN230

Registration District:
Tendring Sub District:
Harwich Enumeration District:
5 Parish:
Harwich St Nicholas

Address:
British Flag Inn West St Harwich County:
Essex

Angela

Angela Report 18 Jun 2010 00:20

dear madmeg , thankyou so much !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what was i doing wrong ?! i am so grateful , again many thanks , angela

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 18 Jun 2010 01:21

I searched for M*den, and up he came.

Use these wildcards a lot when you are stuck.

Regards

Margaret

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 18 Jun 2010 01:27

Incidentally, the name on the original record is clearly McFadden.

Angela

Angela Report 19 Jun 2010 23:16

thanks again madmeg , i'm sincerely grateful

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 20 Jun 2010 00:46

That's okay Angela.