Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ordering certificates via Ancestry

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Moody Blue

Moody Blue Report 17 Jun 2010 13:36

Received this email today from the Ancestry Shop Ancestry uk and it sounds like something to stay away from!

"Do you want to add even more depth to your family history research? Would you like to uncover more evidence about your ancestors? Well, now you can – and it couldn’t be easier or quicker. Just order official England and Wales Birth, Marriage or Death certificates through the Ancestryshop.

A certificate can give you so much more information about your ancestors than Birth, Marriage and Death (BMD) Indexes. It only takes moments to order one – and costs as little as £22.99."

You’ll receive your certificate within 16 working days – six days if you choose Express Delivery. For even faster service, for a small additional fee we can email you a digital copy (which you can attach to your family tree without having to scan in the original) while you’re waiting for your certificate

Think I'll stay with the GRO even if they have increased their prices a little!!

wisechild

wisechild Report 17 Jun 2010 13:42

Hi Moody Blue.
I´ve had that too.
Just smiled to myself & deleted it.
I may not be the brightest button in the box, but I know when I´m being taken for a mug
Marion

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 17 Jun 2010 14:21

I've had it too.They've got to be joking
I'm a bit annoyed with ancestry at the moment.I cancelled my annual subscription as I'd had all the census records i'd wanted and apart from some early London BMD's and parish records,most of mine were cornwall or Ireland.
What they did,they cancelled my sub 2 days early and I lost my shoebox items.I sent a message and told them,and also mentioned that there were days when the site was down and couldn't be used.Their answer was that I didn't let them know about that,and hard luck,they couldn't give me any extra time as I hadn't complained at the time.How's that for customer service?

Lorna

Lorna Report 24 Jun 2010 13:16

Why is it that I can bring up images of B.M.D. certificates on Scotland's people, for 5 credits each, (£i.oo) and not from any of the genealogy sites in England? Is this purely because of a difference between English and Scottish law?

GillfromStaffs

GillfromStaffs Report 24 Jun 2010 15:10

Yes I had that as well, I e-mailed them back and told them that was outrages. I didn't get a reply,I wonder why!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gill

Pam

Pam Report 24 Jun 2010 16:14

I have rellies in Australia just starting to trace family by joining Ancestry. Have advised they use GRO not Ancestry for certificates.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 24 Jun 2010 16:17

Lorna
Its just the difference in how the records are stored and and are online. After some c1921 you cant download the certs from Scotlands People you have to order the cert throught the site

Lorna

Lorna Report 26 Jun 2010 03:12

Thanks Shirley--------------. Just wish we could see English certificates on-line too. Would make life so much easier, (and cheaper!!) as I have to research half my family in Scotland and half in England.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 26 Jun 2010 06:37

It would be nice to see English certs on line, and indeed this might be possible in the future, but it requires a change in the law to do it and for GRO to complete the digitisation program that was put on hold when funds ran out.

Lorna

Lorna Report 26 Jun 2010 15:32

Thanks for that. So it is definitely a difference in law between England and Scotland.