Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Southwark

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 18 Jun 2010 18:05

Are there any parish records for Southwark. 1874, available?

I have a birth cert for George Richard Sherriff and it gives hi mother as Caroline Mary Sherriff, formerly Heasley, but his father was married to Mary Ann Sherriff, late Elliott formerly Edgeley, widow at the time. Birth date wa 1st Nov 1874, 38 Castle Street Soutwark. Father was George Sherriff or Sheriff and was formerly married to Caaroline Watts. One witness was Caroline Hawkins X.

I did post something about 5 years ago, with no success, but I don't know if there is any more info on line now.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 Jun 2010 18:09

theres this one that ties with Mary Ann
Name: George Richard Sherriff
Record Type: Baptism
Date: 19 Mar 1876
Father's Name: George Sherriff
Mother's Name: Mary Ann Sherriff
Parish: St Alphege
Borough: Southwark
County: Middlesex
address 60 lancaster Street

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 Jun 2010 18:14

Name: Mary Ann Elliott
Spouse Name: George Sherriff
Spouse Age: Full Age
Record Type: Marriage
Event Date: 7 Jan 1874
Parish: St James the Great, Bethnal Green
County: Middlesex
Borough: Tower Hamlets
Father Name: John Edgley
Spouse Father Name: Richard Sherriff

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 Jun 2010 18:19

Name: Caroline Watts
Estimated birth year: abt 1861
Spouse Name: George Sherriff
Spouse Age: Full Age
Record Type: Marriage
Event Date: 27 May 1861
Parish: St Thomas the Apostle
County: London
Borough: City of London
Father Name: John Watts
Spouse Father Name: Richard Sherriff
the other witness is Frederick Sherriff

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 Jun 2010 18:27

so as Mary and George married in jan 1874 then the birth in Nov 1874 would tie with them .
Who registerd the birth of the one you have

David

David Report 18 Jun 2010 21:17

Thanks for your replies.

Birth cert reads.
First Nov, 1874, 38 Castle Street'
Name: George Richard, boy.
Name and surname of father, George Sherriff
Name surname and maiden name of mother, Caroline Mary Sherriff, formerly Heasley
Occupation of father: General Hawher.
Signature and address of informant George Sherriff, father, 38 Castle Street, Southwark
When registered Twenty sixth November 1874

Mary Ann and George had other children at various addresses:
Albert 15.4.1877, 38 Castle St father a Hawker of fish
Alfred 12 Oct 1879 221 Tabarrd St father General labourer.
John William 17 Dec 1882 195 Tabard Street, General dealer Mother Mary Ann Sherriff, late Elliott, formerly Edgeley

Shirley, I think that must be the one, I always thought that Caroline Mary Heasley didn't exist as I can find no trace of her, but why would Geoge invent her?

George senior was born at St Clement Danes Westminster birth dates on the various census reports vary from 1819 to 1825. He had 3 brothers, Richard, 1816, Frederick ,1824 and William c1826. Richard an Frederick are on IGI but George and William are not, father was Richard Sherriff, mother Elizabeth Dias.

David

David Report 18 Jun 2010 21:35

Here is the family in 1891 Shariff is of course mistranscribed.

1891 address 3 Castle Street, Southwark

Shariff, Albert - Apprentice abt 1878 Southwark, London Son St George the Martyr London
Shariff, Alfred abt 1890 Southwark, London Son St George the Martyr London

Shariff, George - Hawker abt 1823 St Clement Danes, London Head St George the Martyr London

Shariff, George –– Van boy abt 1885 Southwark, London Son St George the Martyr London
Shariff, John –– Carman on G.N.R abt 1871 Lambeth, London Stepson St George the Martyr London

Shariff, John abt 1888 Southwark, London Son St George the Martyr London

Shariff, Mary Ann abt 1839 Lambeth, London Wife St George the Martyr London

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 Jun 2010 22:30

could Caroline Mary be Georges mum and he misunderstand when asked mothers name ?? by the registrar If he couldn't read or write he would be unaware of the info written on the cert

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 Jun 2010 22:34

Ah just read mum was Elizabeth Dias so that rules that theory out.
It may just be a misunderstanding when he registered the birth or he was covering up something ?? cant see the death of his first wife and she was a caroline so maybe a connection there . you may never know why though.

David

David Report 21 Jun 2010 00:51

Perhaps he got drunk and forgot the name of his wife.

He was a hawker, general dealer and a labourer, pratically every time I find a record for his he has a different address. On the 1861 census his wife is Caroline, born Leamington, Warks, but he did not marry Caroline Watts until a month after the census. So you are likely to be correct, he probably had something to hide.

The only picture I could find of Castle Street shows slums. The whole area of Tabard Street was of slums and was completely cleard and rebuilt in the 1920s. There is an interesting book on line which tells of the area about that time, entitled 12 Years in Kent Street, by the vicar of St Stephen's Southwark. Kent Street was the old name of Tabard Street.