Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Death Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 19 Jun 2010 20:53

Free BMDs shows 2 ladies by the name of Elizabeth Maris whose deaths were registered in Chesterton, Cambs, in Dec 1891 and Dec 1898, There are others but these are the only two that I am interested in. They were both alive in 1891 and showed on the Census, One was a widow living in Hinxton and the other was unmaried and living with her brother in Great Shelford. I believe they were sisters in law.

Is there any way I can find which one died in 1898 without buying a certificate? or if I do buy a cert, will it show whether that lady was a widow or spinster?

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 19 Jun 2010 20:56

If they were married it usually says "wife of" or "widow of".

You could look in newspapers of the time for an obituary.

Ozi

Suzi-Wong

Suzi-Wong Report 19 Jun 2010 21:18

Doesn't the freebmd entry give "age at death"?

Suzanne

David

David Report 19 Jun 2010 21:21

Thanks Ozi,

I suppose the libraries in that area will have newspapers of that time on micro fiche or perhaps CD?

David

David Report 19 Jun 2010 21:24

Yes it does give the age at death but they
would both have been about sthe same age.

mgnv

mgnv Report 20 Jun 2010 08:26

The Chesterton RD Sub-districts are:
Cherry Hinton; Chesterton; Fulbourn; Great Shelford; Willingham.

If the local RO has its own index online, one can distinguish between subdistricts.

So the GRO-index has:

Deaths Dec 1891 (>99%)
MARIS Elizabeth 77 Chesterton 3b 279

Deaths Jun 1897 (>99%)
Maris Sarah 81 Chesterton 3b 273

Deaths Dec 1898 (>99%)
Maris Elizabeth 84 Chesterton 3b 302

and the local index has

Surname: MARIS
Forename: Elizabeth
Middle Initial:
Year of Death: 1891
Reference: 331/SHE/14/322
District: Cambridge

Forename: Sarah
Middle Initial:
Year of Death: 1897
Reference: 331/FUL/25/115

Forename: Elizabeth
Middle Initial:
Year of Death: 1898
Reference: 331/SHE/16/17

http://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/community/BMD/camdex

Unfortunately, they're both in the same subdistrict so it doesn't help here - worth a try though.

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 20 Jun 2010 11:14

Parish Records Collection - burial
Forenames: Elizabeth

Residence: of Great Shelford

Day: 28

Month: Oct

Year: 1898

Notes: John Homes Brand MARIS son of the above certified under Burial Laws Amendment Act 1880

Parish: Hinxton

County: Cambridgeshire,England

Grave details:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Record source: Cambridgeshire Burials

and Burial details for other Elizabeth Maris, Gt. Shelford...

1891 12th Dec Maris Elizabeth otp 77yrs burial certified by Henry Maris brother of the deceased.

Hope this helps.

Chris :)

David

David Report 21 Jun 2010 00:24

Thanks all

Thanks Chris Ho :)

That tells me what I wanted to know, the 1891 death was the spinster and the 1898 one was the married woman.

That is what I was hoping.

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 21 Jun 2010 08:38

Hello David,
yes, that 's right. There was another sister Lydia Maris who married a William Burgess in 1840, they are in Gt. Shelford too until 1855 when the family go to Canada, William was a dissenting minister, also his father James, this could be another coincidence with your other 'thread' on Martha Plested...

Cambridgeshire Family History Society (CFHS) have an online database for early Baptisms and Burials which has the Maris sisters and brothers.

Maris features a lot today in Shelford, Maris Green, which is opposite the High St. at the bottom of De Freville Avenue, and Maris Lane up the road in Trumpington.
Hinxton was only a couple of villages away.

The brother Henry died in 1901, Cavendish Suffolk, but was buried in Gt. Shelford.

Chris :)

David

David Report 21 Jun 2010 20:01

Thanks Chris

It shows that Martha kept contact with her old employer after a number of years and thousands of miles separation.

Martha was well known in queensland and there are many articles about her in the papers, The Queenslander, Brisbane Courier, The Argus and the Queenslan Baptist.

Yesterday I was sent an article from the Brisbane Courier Weds 6 July 1887 It is entitled An Evening with some girls. By Sketcher.

It mentions a girls class that meet to make things to sell in aid of missionaries, "About 30 meet every Tuesday in the Wharf Street Baptist Schoolroom, from 3 to 9 for work and gossip,with tea for those who want it. They pray for an hour on the first Tuesday in each month for Miss Plested, the lady missionary who is storming the zomanas (? not clear.) of India on behalf of the Baptist girls of Brisbane............"

"They had a missionary all to themselves, theirs and theirs only, without the aid or intervention of that muddling and consequential animal, man................"

David