Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How to decipher names on birth certificate

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 25 Jun 2010 15:06

Can anyone help me in deciphering a name on a birth certificate? I have obtained a copy of a birth cert for 1848 but I cannot decipher my great grandmothers maiden name as I cannot read the handwriting. Does anyone have any tips? John

Andrew

Andrew Report 25 Jun 2010 15:26

If you have access to scanner then you can send it via email for people to take a look.

Also, if you post the birth details, someone can search the census records to see if anything can be found.

Andy

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 25 Jun 2010 15:30

if you are able to email it to me I'll take a look - I was a secretary for all my working life and have had to decipher some disgraceful writing!!!!

let me know if you would like my email address

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 25 Jun 2010 21:21

I mark exam papers from all over the world. I can usually decipher anything. Let me know if you want my email address.

John

John Report 2 Jul 2010 14:35

Thank you Margaret for establishing the name for me and for finding the additional information and thank you to everyone else for your help. John

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 2 Jul 2010 22:40

Having a bad week so want to blow my own trumpet for once. John's cert was hard to read, but I spotted a few letters in other bits of the cert that tied up with the name he was looking for, and Bingo, I got a name. It wasn't a name that is common, so I searched around the area for people of that name and found the bride.

Nice to have helped.

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 2 Jul 2010 23:51

Well done, Madmeg.

Ozi