Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Fascinating statistic

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Paul Barton, Special Agent

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 27 Jun 2010 17:14

My tree's not enormous - just under 6,000. Yet three times now I've discovered a connection with somebody who I already know as a contributor to the GR Tips board. One of them, in Canada, already had on her tree the man who married my great grandfather's sister - an incredibly close connection.

Not only that, but several times I have found two people on my tree, widely separated, but who both appear on another GR member's tree.

I'm no statistician, but I would have expected the odds of such incredible matches to be millions to one.

Another astonishing match I made was between two colleages. One of them had been born and brought up in South Africa, yet tracing both of their ancestors back I found members of both families living in the same steet in a small coastal town 150 years ago.

Also I found another colleague's ancestors living in the same block in Central London in the 1840's as my own g-g-g-grandmother. She was a dairywoman so probably delivered his milk!

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 27 Jun 2010 17:29

not enormous!!! you must be kidding - that's massive! I have less than 200 in mine and am quite happy with that

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 27 Jun 2010 17:57

Mine's about 1,000 on here - and a few more to go on at some stage, but that includes my tree, my OH's tree, my son's father's tree and a few odd twigs on OH's side (his aunty and a cousin).

6,000 is a LOT!

Jill

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 27 Jun 2010 18:21

My maiden name was M....... and my first husbands surname was V....... Tracing my M's I have found them living in the same house a the V... family.

The M lot are definitely mine and as the V lot has a very uncommon name somehow they must have been related or known each other about 100 years before I met and married my ex husband. Can't help wondering if I married a distant relative without realising it!! Although I am researching the V's I haven't found the connection yet.

Wendy x

Carol 430181

Carol 430181 Report 27 Jun 2010 20:44

Paul, I have found my husband and I had ancestors in 1760 that only lived 3 miles apart in Cornwall, am still looking for further connection way back.
Carol

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 27 Jun 2010 23:46

Hi Paul,

Your tree is quite small compared to hubby's tree. We're over 60,000 names now. I have to say, though, that we're not just name collectors. What started as his tree slowly mushroomed into a database of all of the founding families of the small city where we live in Ontario, Canada.

This city was founded in 1784 by United Empire Loyalists ( those Americans who remained loyal to the crown during the American Revolution) They lost their homes and all of their belongings and ended up in refugee camps in Canada before being given land and starting all over again.

There was a lot of inter-marrying in these families. ( No roads to other communities.) Consequently The fellow who married your gt. grandfather's sister is hubby's first cousin, 3 times removed, his 8th. cousin, 3 times removed and also his 9th. cousin, twice removed.

As I said, we are not name collectors, all of our research is well documented and sourced. We have been working on it 40+ years.

If only we could find what happened to this fellow who married your gt. grandfather's sister. We lost him!!!