Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Unopened emails?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mary

Mary Report 28 Jun 2010 17:47

I'm sure this is a silly question! but if an email remains unopened in your sent box, could this be due to someone who has lost interest and hasn't paid their fees?

jax

jax Report 28 Jun 2010 17:58

poss no longer has that email address as it could be accessed from there rather than come back to this site

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 28 Jun 2010 18:19

You can still reply to messages if you are a free member.

The most probable reason is as Jax says.

Christine

Mary

Mary Report 28 Jun 2010 18:50

Thanks Jax and Christine. It's just so frustrating!

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 28 Jun 2010 18:57

I've had a reply today to a message I sent in March.

Christine

Mary

Mary Report 28 Jun 2010 19:29

I first tried to contact this person in 2006!

PollyS

PollyS Report 28 Jun 2010 20:02

If you have a lapsed membership you can't open or reply to messages

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 28 Jun 2010 20:08

There is no such thing as a lapsed membership on GR.

As far as I know - and this has been tested from time to time when this subject crops up - a free member can reply to private messages, but can not initiate them, post on the boards, nor view trees

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 29 Jun 2010 00:05

I have a free membership as well as my paid up standard and I can open messages and reply but cannot initiate as IGP says

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 29 Jun 2010 00:08

They could be disinterested, have a broken computer, ill or dead.

Surprising though, some people pick up on these emails a long time after they've been sent. So don't give up.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 29 Jun 2010 02:01

If you are a paying member .... Standard, Gold or Platinum ...... and you do not pay your subscription, GR just changes your status to non-paying member

That allows you to set up and maintain your tree, to reply to any pms sent to you, and to read postings on these Community Boards.

You cannot initiate pms, nor can you post on threads on the boards.

GR NEVER removes any member ............. this is why they can say they have over 11 million members! That number is cumulative from the day GR started!!

so .................. if someone does not reply to a pm that you have sent to them, it means

.......... they have lost interest,

........... they no longer have the email address that is on file on GR, or

........... they are incapacitated

........... they are dead

sylvia

Mick in the Sticks

Mick in the Sticks Report 29 Jun 2010 11:06

I have about eight unread emails all of whom I contacted when their names appeared in the Surname Summary facility within the previous 24 hours.

I make it a habit to daily check the Surname Summary facility to see if any new surnames that I am interested in have been added to individual trees. When I see a new name, I can normally determine by cross referencing birth/marriages indexes if a new name is connected to my tree.

All the unread emails have a common feature. The names are clearly people who have recently joined GR and started a tree by adding just their own name to it. It's a pity these emails go unread as I could clearly work out in all cases that these individuals were distant cousins.

Unfortunately, there is no way of telling individuals that they have unread emails other than sending another email which again will probably go unread.

Michael

Thelma

Thelma Report 29 Jun 2010 11:50

I remember testing this site about six years ago.
Perhaps you may wish to test it yourself.

[email protected]
or whatever ficticious email you like.

Use any password

You should now have a free membership
But you certainly will NOT receive any notifications from Genes.
Edit
Put it another way
You can join Genes with a pretend email address.

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 29 Jun 2010 19:12

My free memberships email receives notifications that I have a message