Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1911 Canadian census at Ancestry.ca

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 28 Jun 2010 19:24

Has this become free access?

http://search.ancestry.ca/search/db.aspx?dbid=8947

I do searches in databases I don't pay for at Ancestry just to find basic info, and just did one there, and behold, I can see full records, including images. (Not so for 1901 and 1916, e.g.)

www.automatedgenealogy.com does provide free access to transcriptions of 1901 and 1911, but the search function there is the absolute pits.

If Ancestry is giving access, that's great news!

(I have an account at Ancestry.ca but it hasn't been paid up for a couple of years -- I just stay signed in under that account, which is different from my paid-up Ancestry.co.uk account.)

Foggy

Foggy Report 28 Jun 2010 19:54

Hi JaneyCanuck,

Thanks for that bit of info.
I have several ancestors who moved to Canada in the start of the 1900s and I have been having difficulty in finding them.
I have world membership at Ancestry and just tried the link you put up, works a treat...many thanks.

Foggy

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 28 Jun 2010 20:10

Well you're paying for it already!

Look around the other databases there. Depending on where they were, the Ontario BMDs might help, for instance. (Most 20th century births, and marriages in the last ~80 years, are not accessible to the public.)

If you find them in a census and see what province they're in, post back here and I can tell you whether there are BMDs (vital stats records) on line for that province. Manitoba, British Columbia, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick do have search sites, and Saskatchewan has some deaths so far.

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 28 Jun 2010 20:36

I have Premium UK Ancestry and I just tried the link and got in to the Canada info !

Have not been able to access it before so suspect it is a mistake ? !!

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 28 Jun 2010 22:32

I was wondering whether we should shush! ;)

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 28 Jun 2010 22:58

Blimey Janey, you are right! You little belter, thanks so much for this. Have just found gg aunt Sarah (who reputedly once shot a bear, quite a change from industrial B'ham - what a woman).
Jan

mgnv

mgnv Report 29 Jun 2010 01:10

LAC's census links page says:
All census returns from 1851 to 1916 have been digitized and are currently available on multiple websites. By the summer of 2011, all digital images and indexes to those census returns will be available on Library and Archives Canada website.
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/genealogy/022-911.009-e.html

Maybe that's connected. I just looked at searches I did in the 1st quarter, and there's no change for 1861/91,1901/06.
Everything but 1911 is padlocked as before.

I, too, have bother with AG's search, and prefer to search on Ancestry first, even if I can't see details.
Note Ancestry only let you specify parents/spouses from 1891 on, so sometimes the LDS 1881 is better to search - one can specify the head there.

Sometimes, even after you've gotten them on Ancestry, it's impossible to guess how AG has them.
Then you're stuck with going to, say, Simcoe (North) or whatever, looking at AG's list of twp's, feeding them back into Ancestry so you know they're in Oro Twp, and at some stage check AG's surname list

Now I've seen 1911 work, we maybe can use the following proceedure for dodgy cases.

Suppose I look up someone in 1911:
George Dalgarno Wawanosh East, Huron EastOntario 1827 Scotland Father-in-law

If I click on his view image link, it takes me to a giant URL. Embedded in the middle of the URL is the image ID:
iid=e080_e001993974

Now I've seen the image, I know it's of page 12 in subdistrict 19 in Wawanosh East, Huron East Co.
With that info, I can look it up in the LAC, and get:

http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/1911/pdf/e001993974.pdf

Now lets try 1901:
George Dalgarno name city, Huron (East/est), Ontario 1827 location info

Clicking on the View image link (or just hovering over it and checking my status bar) gives me another giant URL with the embedded image ID:
iid=z000071416 (possibly the = sign is given in hex as %3d).

Now we can guess the 1901 Schedule 1 image we need is:
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/1901/z/z002/z000071416.pdf

Bren from Oldham

Bren from Oldham Report 29 Jun 2010 09:37

If you go to record search pilot on Family search.org you will find the Canadian census records on there plus other Canadian records

mgnv

mgnv Report 29 Jun 2010 13:29

Bren is correct - however, what you can look up is individuals - it's hard to reconstruct households with multiple surnames. This really only affects the 1861/71 censuses, since there are free alternatives for the others in 1851-1911, via:
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/genealogy/022-911.009-e.html