Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

linking people on my own tree

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie

Julie Report 7 Jul 2010 14:19

I've been adding people from all the documents that I have and have somehow taken a 'circular' route and have an individual attached by marriage but not linked to her parents. Is there a way of 'adding' a person who is already on your own tree, or will I have to have a 'copy of' so that this person appears twice - once with her birth family and again in her married family?

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 7 Jul 2010 14:26

Whilst commercial tree programs such as FTM will let you create multiple relationships such as this, unfortunately the GR tree software is more basic, and does not have that facility.

You will need to show the person twice, and I suggest you put a comment in the notes field to cross reference the two entries so that anyone viewing your tree can see the connection.

Julie

Julie Report 7 Jul 2010 14:33

Thanks for this. I suppose I could unpick everything but it would take forever and I still can't see how I wouldn't end up with the same thing! Please can you also tell me the full title of FTM so that I can have a look with a view to backing up and editing. Thanks again

Penny

Penny Report 7 Jul 2010 14:38

FTM= Family Tree Maker

Julie

Julie Report 7 Jul 2010 14:49

Thanks! :)