Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WDYTYA

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

jacks

jacks Report 13 Jul 2010 11:54

Who do you think you are is back on, Starts Monday BBC 9pm starting with Bruce Forsyth, cant wait!

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 13 Jul 2010 18:01

It sort of lost the plot with the last series. Too much about the so called 'celebs' egos, and rather too little of the genealogy.

I'll be interested to see how they approach it this time.

Cornish Susie

Cornish Susie Report 13 Jul 2010 19:30

Sorry GoldenGirl but I think the only real tip you'll get is to throw loads of money at it and employ a large number of professionals! Of course you have to make sure that any library etc you go to has a very nice assistant waiting for you who just happens to have every relevant book open at the right page!
Having said that, they may get the results but they will never experience that wonderful moment when everything falls into place after months - or even years - of frustrating searching.
I'll still watch it tho - prob green with envy!

Sue

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 13 Jul 2010 19:51

The first series had an extra half hour devoted on how to research.

It was done in a 'fun' way with 'Sue Perkins?' floundering her way through BMDs, Record Offices ect......OK it wasn't a difinitive tutorial but it it did give an insight as to what was involved in research.

I wish they would repeat (maybe updated) the 'extras'.

Cornish Susie ...lol... :-)

Chris

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 14 Jul 2010 00:10

Never seen it, don't think I need it. Someone tell me I am wrong.

jax

jax Report 14 Jul 2010 02:10

Just set it to record the series as I always forget these things.
I remember hearing that they refused to film someone famous as thier ancestors were boring, ag labs ect like most of mine

Its not that you need it madmeg its just interesting what they find about these celebrities ancestors

jax

Janet

Janet Report 16 Jul 2010 19:27

It was Michael Parkinson and they were all miners so deemed it not interesting enough ?

Sure it would have been more interesting than the one on Julian Clary which they seemed to have done on probability and guess work......that one was the worst one of the lot I think.

Jan

Janet

Janet Report 16 Jul 2010 21:14

I think I would watch it even if it wasn't a celebrity family, I just like the stories about the ancestors.

They could always come and help me do mine !! I have loads of mysteries.