Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

My Heritage

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 13 Jul 2010 18:15

Does anyone use this site?

I put my tree on there a little while ago and a few contacts from time to time.

Just had a contact today and when I logged on to reply is said that if you have more than 250 names in your tree you have to pay.

Mine would cost £7.95 A MONTH - Yes, £7.95 A MONTH.

Sort of makes GR look rather cheap by comparison, doesn't it?

michael2

michael2 Report 14 Jul 2010 01:53

hi i used this site until i had the same message i thiught that it was to dear went out and brought a ftm2008 i find it does the job. michael2

Gramps63

Gramps63 Report 14 Jul 2010 05:13

I have used it recently for the first time and did not realise anything over 250 names and you pay. Will have to watch out! Many thanks for the info.

Eddieisagrandad

Eddieisagrandad Report 14 Jul 2010 15:31

I have about 700 names but I have not put my tree "on the 'web" so don't pay anything. As a private, personal tree builder I find it an excellent back-up and I think the tree is far superior to the one here at GR, particularly being able to look at and print off only small parts of the tree.

Gramps63

Gramps63 Report 15 Jul 2010 11:24

Hi Eddie So how do you do that with My heritage?

Eddieisagrandad

Eddieisagrandad Report 15 Jul 2010 12:01

I'm not sure I even understand the question, Robert. I only use the progrmme off-line, I do not go to the web-site.
My version which is a couple of months old asks if I want to publish to their web site - answer No not now.
When I open the programme two windows open, one to the actual programme, the other to the web-site - close that one and the tree builder works fine.

MarkMorgan

MarkMorgan Report 15 Jul 2010 12:49

I use MyHeritage without paying. The Windows software is free to use and has a couple of options disabled (nothing essential) which come under the paid 'premium' service which also allows you to publish on their website. The web-publishing to their site is free up to 250 names before you pay (it used to be 750, then it was 500...).

It is an excellent offline tree builder, better than some of the paid for commercial software on the market IMO.

Save the tree as GEDCOM and upload it to GR periodically.

BTW, when installing the software remember de-select the toolbar and homepage options.

Mark.

Gramps63

Gramps63 Report 16 Jul 2010 03:03

Thanks Mark and Eddie will follow it through. By deselecting the tool bar it appears it has fixed another problem I was having with e-mails.

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 16 Jul 2010 03:54

I don't intend to insult anyone, but I'd like to hear Inspector Green Pen's response.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 16 Jul 2010 05:21

I was referring purely to use of the website.which I have been doing for a number of years, but which I can no longer access it without paying what I consider to be extortionate fees, as I have more than 250 names. I'm not really interested in the functionality of their web tree builder as I would only ever upload a gedcom to the site.

I can not comment re the practicalities of any 'offline' tree software the site may sponsor, either, as FTM is my preferred PC software.

Patricia

Patricia Report 16 Jul 2010 14:59

Hi
I am new to this can someone tell me what a GEDCOM is? Cheers

Patricia

Patricia Report 16 Jul 2010 15:00

and FTM

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 16 Jul 2010 15:54

Patricia, FTM is Family Tree Maker, which is a software programme that many people on here use to store their tree offline. A GEDCOM is a file type that you can store, transfer etc your family tree in. If you wanted to you could export a GEDCOM of your tree from GR and import it to another website or family tree programme.

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 16 Jul 2010 20:39

Have nudged up a thread explaining GEDCOM (by Glen in ,,,,(

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 17 Jul 2010 02:13

That sorted me IGP,thanks.

Dead funny, but why Inspector Green Pen as a name? Are you an accountant?

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 17 Jul 2010 19:05

Madmeg,

You are not a million miles away.

If there are any GR members out there who worked for B (The Blue One) Bank in the 70's and 80's they may remember when the Inspectors arrived without notice at their branch once a year.

I was one of those Inspectors. Actually I was an Assistant Inspector from about 1981 to 1985 in Liverpool. The real Inspectors were quite senior and were provided with bank cars to get around the district.

We all had first hand experience of working in branches. I started in 1970 as a cashier, and worked my way up,through passing my banking exams along the way.

As Inspectors, we were armed with green biros - In fact, no one else in the bank was allowed to have a green biro - and promptly marked, crossed, ticked and initialed every single piece of paper we could lay our hands on.

Hence, Inspector Green Pen

It was never the same when the department was disbanded, downgraded, and replaced by Internal Audit, Sadly none had previous experience of the job, and were only capable of ticking boxes.

Patricia

Patricia Report 24 Jul 2010 08:15

To Janet 693215 and Eliazabeth thank you both for info regarding FTM and GEDCOM x