Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

help for records in Australia please?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

:) still smiling :)

:) still smiling :) Report 19 Jul 2010 22:43

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone will still be up and able to help me out a little. I recently found that my great grandfather's brother was married and had atleast four children, when i'd beleived for years he had been a batchelor all his life.

having found his son in an ancestry tree which says he died in Victoria,Australia in 2005 i went back and checked all my other sources for a Derek Fagan. Lo and behold there at the back of my great grandfather's notebook is a scrap of paper with just "Derek" and an address in Melbourne.

I am wondering if someone wonderful could look up and see if there is a record of him leaving England for Australia as i dont have worldwide membership and can't find the records. I also wondered if there would be a way i might find a marriage for him in Australia and any children he may have had.

His name is Derek V Fagan (v is possibly for Victor) and he was born in Croydon in 1929.

also semi related to this query i have seen a record on ancestry travel records for cyril Fagan (my grandfather) and a record for "o/s D Fagan (possibly my grandma olive doreen) and wondered if someone could have a quick look at those for me too?

thanks for reading.
Leanne. :D

Cathy

Cathy Report 19 Jul 2010 23:33

I think the O/S could stand for Ordinary Seaman D Fagan aged 19.

It all seems to be young men...

:) still smiling :)

:) still smiling :) Report 19 Jul 2010 23:35

oh :( thank you Cathy. i got all excited- my grandfather's brother went to Australia in 1951 and stayed there the rest of his life so i thought perhaps that may have been a visit from my grandad and nan.

thank you very much for the reply though. :)
Leanne.

Cathy

Cathy Report 19 Jul 2010 23:42

Don't suppose this is him......

passenger transcript details
Name: Rev D M FAGAN
Date of departure: 23 October 1953
Port of departure: London
Passenger destination port: Sydney, Australia
Passenger destination: Sydney, Australia

Date of Birth: 1929 (calculated from age)
Marital status:
Sex: Male
Passenger recorded on: Page 8 of 36

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ship:
Official Number:
Master's name:
Steamship Line:
Where bound:
Square feet:
Registered tonnage:
Passengers on voyage:
ORONTES
T L Shurrock
Orient
Australia

BettyLou

BettyLou Report 20 Jul 2010 07:10

Up to date records are difficult to find in Oz. Victoria particularly have a '1942' rule that no marriage details are divulged after 1942. I found it very difficult as my relatives are all female so finding married names almost impossible. Death certs of the parents were useful as were White Pages.