Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Boys home Montreal

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dawn

Dawn Report 20 Jul 2010 13:02

I have a John Whiteing who left England in 1925 landing at Quebec in june 1925. He was 16 and was destined for a boys home in montreal. His passage was paid for by the CNR. I haven't been able to find out what happened to him, any marriage/children/death. Him and his sister Winifred were 'holiday fund kids' children that were sent from London to the country/seaside for a holiday. My grandparents took these two for a couple of years for holidays and then they remained as their mother died of TB. Winnie remained as part of the family, and i was told John went to Canada. John's eldest sister died of TB as did Winifred and maybe John did too? I would like to find out what happened to him, but don't really know where to look. any info would be much appreciated. Thanks Dawn in NZ

Dawn

Dawn Report 24 Jul 2010 12:24

'

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 24 Jul 2010 13:34

Could this be his arrival in Canada?

Canadian Passenger Lists, 1865-1935
about John Roedean Whiteing
Name: John Roedean Whiteing
Estimated birth year: abt 1909
Birth Country: England
Date of Arrival: 31 May 1925
Vessel: Ascania
Search Ship Database: View the 'Ascania' in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: Quebec
Port of Departure: Cherbourg, France
Roll: T-14716

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 24 Jul 2010 16:08

Hi Dawn,

I think this is John Roedean Whiteing in 1911 with his parents and siblings;

HOUSEHOLD WHITING WINNIE F 1910 10 MONTHS Brighton Sussex
HOUSEHOLD WHITING CHARLES M 1882 29 Brighton Sussex
HOUSEHOLD WHITING DOROTHY F 1903 8 Brighton Sussex
HOUSEHOLD WHITING JOHN M 1909 2 Brighton Sussex
HOUSEHOLD WHITING LOUISE F 1884 27 Brighton Sussex

Dee x

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 24 Jul 2010 16:11

Sounds right, Dee, with a sister Winnie.

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 24 Jul 2010 16:18

Dawn,

this thread maybe a good place to start and hopefully may lead you to more info;

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.asp?wci=thread&tk=876594

Just copy and paste the address into the VERY top search bar and the thread will appear.

Good luck, Dee x

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 24 Jul 2010 16:19

Hi MM,

I think so too... especially as Dawn also mentioned an elder sister who died.

Johns middle name is quite unusual so with any luck something may turn up?

Dee x

Dawn

Dawn Report 3 Aug 2010 09:48

Thanks everyone, I have him leaving England and arriving canada, and him on the 1911. It said he was due to go to a boy's home in montreal, but haven't been able to find anything bar basic info on said home. been talking to my aunt who knew him, and she remembers seeing him in the war, and he was in the 'black watch' and I have since discovered there was a canadian regt by that name. so now have to try and find out where to get info. A pity it wasn't the first war as it seems easier to get info of that. Also deaths? it would of been easier if he had been in USA!!!

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 3 Aug 2010 16:59

Unfortunately, you just won't be able to get info about

- WWII service (unless you are a direct descendant and the person is deceased)
- marriages
- deaths (unless he was in one of the rare provinces that allows access to deaths more recent than 75 years ago)

His surname has an unusual spelling:

Births Sep 1908
Whiteing John Roedean Brighton 2b 188

There are only 3 listings for that surname in the Canadian telephone directory (just search for surname with no other details), two in British Columbia and one in Ontario:

http://www.whitepages.ca/

Many English speakers left Quebec after 1970 (and he may not have stayed there to begin with), so it would not be unusual if his descendants, if any, were not there. If he was working for the Canadian National Railway, he might well have ended up on the west coast.

One possibility for someone in the military is that his death was reported in the Legion's Last Post. His name is not there, however.

http://www.legionmagazine.com/en/lastpost/browse.asp?alpha=W&offset=4600

(There is also no John R Whiting, just in case)

No John Whiteing or Whiting death in BC to 1989, and the only John Whiting marriage there was in 1925.

I think I'd try writing to or telephoning the 3 Whiteings in the phone book!

David

David Report 15 Aug 2010 18:54

I have a John Roedean Whiteing born in Brighton on my list of birth certificates in 1908 quarter 3. I have not been able to link this John with any of our Whiteing family trees -yet.
regards
David Whiteing
www.Whiteing.info

David

David Report 15 Aug 2010 19:06

Just to continue. I have Charles Albert married in Brighton in 1882 quarter 1. Winifred born 1910 Q3, Dorothy Louisa born 1903Q2.
You will find that Whiteings are more often than not recorded as Whiting without the E in censuses. That is because it is always difficult to get another person to write it down correctly, Whereas birth and marriage certificates are usually correct.
I am sure that my own line comes from Brighton, just haven't proved it yet, nearest we have got is Reigate, halfway between Brighton and London.
David Whiteing.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 15 Aug 2010 21:32

Just to continue ... I guess my post was invisible.

David -- the John in question is undoubtedly the one in the 1911 census posted earlier in the thread with parents Charles and Louise.