Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Is there anyway of knowing?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 20 Jul 2010 13:59

Is there anyway of knowing if someone is still a member of Genes?

Thanks, Lou

Flick

Flick Report 20 Jul 2010 14:17

Send a message........if it doesn't get opened......either he/she is not interested, or he/she has changed e-mail address and not notified GR.....which would also indicate lack of interest

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 20 Jul 2010 14:26

Hi Flick, I did send a message, last June and again in November. She opened the one in June but didn't answer, & she's not opened the one I sent in Nov. So I suppose it either means she's not interested or not a member. Such a shame as I think I've found the connection between her ancestor and mine. :-(

Thanks though for responding.

Regards, Lou

Peter

Peter Report 20 Jul 2010 15:39

Lou,

I have suffered the same frustration but wondered whether people who had let their GR subscription lapse might be able to receive messages but not reply to them. If that is the case you might insert your email address. However, I must confess that I have tried this but so far without success.

Peter

Flick

Flick Report 20 Jul 2010 15:56

It is possible to reply to messages if one is a lapsed or even a non-paying member.

What those people cannot do is initiate contact..............

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 20 Jul 2010 15:59

Hi Peter, & Hi Flick,

Many thanks for your comments, it's much appreciated. Good Idea Peter. I think I will give it a go. Thanks agian to you both,

Regards, LOu

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 20 Jul 2010 17:22

Everyone who has signed up to GR is a member. There is no such concept as a lapsed member. The four levels of membership are:-

(A) Free Membership;
(B) Standard Membership; or
(C) Gold Membership.
(D) Platinum Membership

Free Members can respond to messages sent to them, but can't initiate any, view other's trees, nor post on any of the message boards.

Whether or not a member still bothers to log on to the site is another matter.

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 20 Jul 2010 19:22

Hi Inspector GreenPen,

Thanks very much that has enlightened me.

Regards, Lou

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 20 Jul 2010 19:53

to add to IGP's posting

.......... any paid member who fails to continue with their subscription is dropped down by GR to Free Memebrship status

they never let anyone go!

that is why they can say they 11 million plus members

But a free member can respond to pms sent through the site, although they cannot initiate a pm to another member.

Unfortunately, there is no way of telling how many of those 11 million are actually active at this time

or how many may have changed their email address without telling GR

or how many may have died

sylvia

cliffette

cliffette Report 20 Jul 2010 20:59

I once sent a message and got the reply "I'm too busy" nice ah!

Sally

Sally Report 20 Jul 2010 22:46

hello why doyou not make auggedtionto genes as they are asling at the moment and they are tacking notice yes taking notice not on the norma l email address the one they are offerng £60 if you attend

sally w