Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

search for old book

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

lainie39

lainie39 Report 23 Jul 2010 18:38

Would anyone like to help me search for an old book which contains 2 pages [picture and text] on my ancestor?

The book is entitled 'portrait gallery of its [Ilkeston] inhabitants by Edwin Truman.

You experts might know of great websites that I have failed to find!!

Many thanks for reading this thread.

Elaine

Annina

Annina Report 23 Jul 2010 19:02

Have you tried Amazon?

I managed to buy a copy of a book that one of my rellies wrote,only cost me a few quid.

Quoy

Quoy Report 23 Jul 2010 20:55

Hi Elaine
you might try the museum in Ilkeston. I know they have a lot of collections

http://www.erewashmuseum.co.uk/

Liz 47

Liz 47 Report 23 Jul 2010 21:27

Have you tried googling the title, or "rare book shops" - it may be worth looking on ebay
Good luck,
Liz

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 23 Jul 2010 21:49

Elaine...Try www.ilkestonhistory.org.
It is the Ilkeston and District Family History Soc.
They have a list of their Pubs.
One listed written by ET..History of Ilkeston ..but must be a tome...costs £67.!!!

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 23 Jul 2010 22:00

Elaine...Have just crossed checked and if you go to the web site..www.ilkestonhistory.org.uk/familyhistory/portraits
All the portraits you are looking for plus history of the people shown are there...
Any problems send me a Pm with your email address and I will send link to you.

Sally

Sally Report 23 Jul 2010 22:25

hello have you tried national archives they have a book shop on line

sally w

lainie39

lainie39 Report 25 Jul 2010 09:20

Thank you to all who have replied. I will try all of your helpful suggestions and let you know if I get anywhere.

I have tried the Ilkeston and District Local History Society - and their publications dont include this book by Edwin Truman - but as 'Eringobragh1916' found out, they do sell another of his books - 400 pages and £67!

What I did discover yesterday, at the library, was the correct title of the book which is 'The Borough of Ilkeston; a portrait gallery of its Principal Inhabitants'

Many thanks.

Elaine

lainie39

lainie39 Report 25 Jul 2010 10:05

I have just found an on-line copy of the History of Ilkeston!!!

http://www.archive.org/details/historyilkeston00unkngoog