Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marriage 2nd time

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Leslie

Leslie Report 24 Jul 2010 16:31

I have found that my rellie Edward Robert Burke(b1857) in Clapham was married to my gt/grandmother Fanny Susannah Garwood(b1859)West minster.,their daughter was my grandmother Emily Burke(b1880)Peckham married Robert Bailey in Kent on 4th Dec 1909,she was previously married to Ernest Band (b1867 Ipswitch)
The Burke family(he was a Police Inspector in London)are on most census records up to 1901,I have since got the 1911 census and on there he is shown as A licensed victualler,but also that his wife was a Catherine Martha of 8yrs and after checking the deaths for 1902 ,Fanny Susannah was recorded as having died.But after checking marriages for 1903 the records on FreeBMD show Emily Fanny Band married Robert Bailey also the 2 other names where Edward Robert Burke and Catherine Martha Hooker,could it have been a double wedding or would they be just witnesses ,
p.sThe witnesses on the cert are William John Marsh and Edward Robert Burke. I cannot find a marriage for Edward and Caroline,anybody out there can help me?

regards to all
Les

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 24 Jul 2010 17:12

It looks to me like it could be a double wedding as Susannah Fanny died in the March Qtr of 1902 and Emily & Ernest and Edward Robert & Caroline Martha married in the Dec Qtr of 1902. When four names like that appear on FreeBMD it would be 2 marriages not 1 marriage and witnesses. The best way to find out for sure is to purchase the marriage cert.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 25 Jul 2010 00:29

For a long time I thought that my grandmother and her sister had had a double wedding from the record on freebmd

When I got the certificates, they had actually been married on succeeding days ...... Nov 12 1902 for my grandparents and Nov 13 for my great-aunt

and my grandmother and grandfather had lied about their ages, even though their fathers were there.

Great-aunt and great-uncle had told the truth!

sylvia

Leslie

Leslie Report 25 Jul 2010 19:26

Hi ,thanks to everyone who replied to my request,to somerset girl the reason that I wasnt sure was because my grandmother Emily married Ernest Band,but her father Edward Robert Burke presumably married Caroline Martha Hooker,
I wasnt too sure if they were the witnesses or not.

But everything as sorted itself out thanks to you all
cheers to Somerset girl
Londonbelle and Sylvia in Canada