Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find info on Boys Refuge/Industrial scho

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine

Christine Report 26 Jul 2010 18:27

Hi everyone I am new to posting but would like to ask for help. My G Grandfather was in St. Ann Street Boys Refuge/Industrial School at the age of 10. I can't find any information on his parents and not sure how to proceed. Any tips appreciated.
Tina

K

K Report 26 Jul 2010 18:45

Have you found his birth cert? Apologies - of course you haven't.

The local records office may have the workhouse records and if you post details of him it is possible someone can help.

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 26 Jul 2010 18:53

Try Google.
I have just put in 'St Ann Street Boys refuge' and the first thing that comes up is ref: Liverpool, but I don't know if this is yours as you haven't said what town your St Ann Street is in.
If you click on that one, the Liverpool one, and find that it's no good to you, stay on the page it took you to, now click on Home, in top left, and that takes you to an interesting list of things which might be of help to you.

Good luck
K

Christine

Christine Report 26 Jul 2010 18:54

Hi K

No don't have his birth certificate but have his marriage certificate. he give's his father as deceased. He was in the boys refuge industrial school at the age of 10, can,t find death certificate for his Father so a bit stuck now.

Tina

Christine

Christine Report 26 Jul 2010 18:58

Thank you Karen I will try that. It is Liverpool and I've looked on the census but it just gives his name, age and job. Think the school was run by religious order and they found apprenticeships for the boys.

Tina

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 26 Jul 2010 19:02

If he's 10 on the census he should be on the previous one.

If you want to post his name someone may be able to help.

Christine

Christine

Christine Report 26 Jul 2010 19:05

Thanks for your advice Karen I've just e-mailed the site which gives the inormation on the refuges/industrial schools. Will let you know if I get anywhere. You've been really helpful.

Tina

Christine

Christine Report 26 Jul 2010 19:11

Thanks ChristineinPortugal but he's not on the 1861 census (that was the year of his birth as far as I can find out, but I believe the family came from Ireland so possible he may have been born there. Just a bit stuck now.

Tina

Christine

Christine Report 26 Jul 2010 19:13

Hi sorry to bother you both again but where is the best place to post his details? Is it trying to find or Surname information. Sorry bit of an idiot.

Tina

Christine

Christine Report 26 Jul 2010 19:19

Just going to do some more searching will be back later.

K

K Report 26 Jul 2010 19:22

Try adding it to this thread keeping everything in one place

Christine

Christine Report 29 Jul 2010 15:40

The person I am looking for is Henry Gill born c1861 not on 1861 census on 1871 aged 10 years in St Ann Street boys refuge/industrial school. He states his father (Henry) as deceased when he marries Maria Harvey in 1883.

Any help appreciated.

Tina

Christine

Christine Report 29 Jul 2010 21:05

Oh thank you so much Debs, I have been toing and froing looking for him and All Souls is a definite possibility for the christening.

Tina

Christine

Christine Report 29 Jul 2010 21:07

Just going to check those sites be back later, v grateful for your help

Tina

Christine

Christine Report 29 Jul 2010 22:42

Hi
Just found a marriage on family search (good site) for Henry Gill in 1867 to Jane Quine both widowers, possibly my Henry Gill and this is why young Henry ended up in the boys school (just surmising). Will see if I can get any further.
Tina

mgnv

mgnv Report 30 Jul 2010 03:24

Baptism: 14 Jun 1860 All Souls, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
Henry Gill - Child of Henry Gill & Ellen
Abode: Clement St
Baptised by: W J Friel
Register: Baptisms 1854 - 1884 from the Bishop's Transcripts, Entry 320
Source: LDS Film 1068892

http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/indexp.html

Christine

Christine Report 30 Jul 2010 16:04

Thank You mgnv I have looked at this and am waiting on a birth certificate to try and move forward.