Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Naval Reform School

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kerry

Kerry Report 27 Jul 2010 09:48

Hello all
I have recently found out that my grandad got into trouble as a child for stealing a loaf of bread, as punishment he was sent away to a naval school. My uncle says that he remembers my grandad telling him that this school was actually on a ship. Can anyone help me with this please? Would anyone have any idea where this school may be, or if possible where I could go to start asking questions about this?
Thanking you in hope
Kerry

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 27 Jul 2010 10:23

I don't dismiss what your uncle remembers, but I wonder if grandfather actually said it was HMS (Whatever) and uncle thought he meant a ship.
Several shore bases are referred to as HMS, but I will have to leave it to better-informed people to advise re. the school.

Gwyn

Kerry

Kerry Report 27 Jul 2010 10:29

Thanks Gwyn, I think I'll contact the navy and see what they have to say, can't think of anywhere else to go. But you could be right on the ship thought

Kerry

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 27 Jul 2010 10:30

if it was at a time that can looked at on the census then you may be able to find him

Kerry

Kerry Report 27 Jul 2010 10:47

Thank you all so much for your thoughts. Grandad is showing as being adopted in the 1911 census. Though we know his parents were still alive and my mum remembers her gran, (grandads mum) so unsure as to what age he was sent away.

juma

juma Report 27 Jul 2010 12:53

Try contacting the RN Museum in Portsmouth dockyard as I believe they hold extensive records. If no joy they will point you in the right direction.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 27 Jul 2010 17:08

I have just found the following on google

www.rakaia.co.uk/downloads/sea-schools/sea-schools.pdf

It is a list of Merchant Naval schools of all types, but the introduction says that the third type were for criminally inclined poor children who were not necessarily expected to go to sea, although many did.

George

George Report 27 Jul 2010 17:39

this may also help

http://www.mersey-gateway.org/server.php?show=ConWebDoc.420

Kerry

Kerry Report 15 Aug 2010 17:49

Thank you all so very very much, I have found out so much from the pages you suggested and the help you have given me....

Thanks again all

Kerry (",)