Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Looking for a possible marriage

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Hawthorn

Hawthorn Report 28 Jul 2010 19:57

My Great Grandfather Joseph Walton Carr was born in Stockton on Tees in 1879. He married Rica A S May in February 1903 and his wife died in September 1922 also in Stockton on Tees. I know nothing more about my Great Grandfather until his death in Bradford in January 1952.

For many years I have often wondered why he moved to Bradford . . . possibly work, I don't know. I have also wondered if he ever re-married. Looking on Ancestry there are 32 Joseph W Carr's listed as being married between the years 1922 & 1952.

Does anyone know of a way of elimating some of these marriages? Otherwise it means contacting every Register Office to ask if they have the one I am looking for.

It's a pity you can't put a persons birth year on a marriage search which would make life much easier.

Janice

Janice Report 28 Jul 2010 19:59

Have you got the death cert to see who registered the death?

Hawthorn

Hawthorn Report 28 Jul 2010 20:00

Yes I have and it was his son - my Grandfather.

Janice

Janice Report 28 Jul 2010 20:03

That's a shame - would have been good if it was a wife!

Is Granddad still around?
Was there a will? Or who was probate granted to?
What about a Bradford paper for an obituary?

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 28 Jul 2010 20:05

Do you have an address for him on the death cert? If so you could check electoral register to see who else was there, going back year by year. Hope you live near Bradford!
Jan

Hawthorn

Hawthorn Report 28 Jul 2010 20:05

My Grandfather died in 1993. I'm sure I have looked for a will but couldn't find one.

Yes I do have an address. I could indeed look at the Electrol rolls . . . . . I still live in Stockton. Perhaps I sould have an awayday to Bradford sometime !

I just wish you could put a persons birth year on a marriage search which would make life much easier.

Janice

Janice Report 28 Jul 2010 20:12

Out of all those marriages, there's only one in Stockton. I'd start with that one and go from there.

Hawthorn

Hawthorn Report 28 Jul 2010 20:15

Thanks Janice, I should have said earlier I have checked this one and it's not him.

I guess it's going to be a visit to Bradford or contacting all the Registers offices !

Janice

Janice Report 28 Jul 2010 20:19

Have you done the electoral registers in Stockton first to see how long he stayed there?

Hawthorn

Hawthorn Report 28 Jul 2010 20:26

Janice . . . . no I haven't and I never thought of that!

Thanks.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 28 Jul 2010 20:37

Luckily he had a fairly unusual middle name.
It may be possible that if you phoned the various register offices where likely marriages took place, they just might confirm or deny that you had the right man.
Although they won't volunteer information on the certificate, they might be able to confirm information you give re. his middle name.
I did this last week when I wanted confirmation that I had found the correct death certificate for a man with a very common name, but an unusual 3rd forename.

Gwyn

Hawthorn

Hawthorn Report 28 Jul 2010 21:15

Thanks Gwyn. Whenever I have phoned a register office in the past is that they need to know what church (or Register Office) the ceremony took place in. It would require them to check every church in the area which they won't do. I guess it's different for a death.