Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

i think ive been tracing the wrong burgess!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Alan

Alan Report 28 Jul 2010 21:20

For the last year i have been tracing who i thought was my great great grandfather, but now im not so sure its the right person.
Is there a way of checking that i have the right person? as i seem to have hit a brick wall and there is no-one left for me to ask.
Here is what i know for sure,
Audrey burgess born-1939 died 1998. daughter of,
Annie jones born-1898 died 1943, who was married to James burgess also born 1898, died in 1960.
They lived in ordsall(salford)

any help would be much appreciated.
thanks
allan

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 28 Jul 2010 21:26

Do you have Audrey's birth certificate?

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 28 Jul 2010 21:30

The marriage:

Marriages Dec 1934 (52%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Burgess James Jones Wrexham 11b 610
Jones Annie E Burgess Wrexham 11b 610

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 28 Jul 2010 21:35

Burgess births in Wrexham with mother's maiden name Jones:

Births Jun 1934 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Burgess Brenda J Jones Wrexham 11b 376

Births Jun 1936 (>99%)

Burgess Gordon Jones Wrexham 11b 343

Births Mar 1938 (>99%)

Burgess Allen Jones Wrexham 11b 283

Births Mar 1940 (55%)

Burgess Charles Jones Wrexham 11b 825

Births Jun 1941 (>99%)

Burgess June Jones Wrexham 11b 874

Births Sep 1947 (93%)

Burgess Emily D Jones Wrexham 8a 518

No Audrey here.

Thelma

Thelma Report 28 Jul 2010 21:49

This death gives c1900 for birth
Name: James Burgess
Death Registration Month/Year: 1960
Age at death (estimated): 60
Registration district: Salford
Inferred County: Lancashire
Volume: 10f
Page: 552

Alan

Alan Report 28 Jul 2010 22:07

i found the birth record for my nanna (audrey burgess) registered in salford. and i know she had 3 sisters and 3 brothers all also born in salford.
I have also found a few conflicting records, which lead me to believe my great nanna(annie 1898) may have been married breifly before marrying james burgess.
I have found 3 james burgess's in salford of the same age.
i just wish i could find out which one is my great grandfather.
I take my hat off to you all with thousands of faily members on your tree's it much have taken years and a small fortune.

Alan

Alan Report 28 Jul 2010 22:08

Yes your correct, my mistake.
he was born in 1899. thanks for pointing that out satnav.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 28 Jul 2010 22:09

You need the marriage cert of James and Annie I think, in order to find out his father's name. Then you can cross-check for marriages which correspond with the births you have found, or even find him 1911 or 1901.
Jan

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 28 Jul 2010 23:41

There's a marriage in Salford to Annie Roach and a marriage for Ann Jones to Roach in Salford a few years earlier.

The birth cert for Audrey should give her mother's previous name.

Christine

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 28 Jul 2010 23:49

I don't think those births in Wrexham that MargaretM has found are likely to be your family - there are loads of Burgesses with mmn Jones in Salford.

I think I'd rather hunt for a James Burgess marrying a different Annie before rushing off to get that marriage in Wrexham.

Like this one:

Marriages Sep 1925 (>99%)
Burgess James Roach Salford 8d 1038
Roach Annie Burgess Salford 8d 1038

EDIT - SNAP!

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 28 Jul 2010 23:55

Marriages Dec 1919 (>99%)

Jones Ann Roach Salford 8d 374
Roach James Jones Salford 8d 374

AND

Deaths Dec 1922 (>99%)

Roach James 22 Salford 8d 46

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 28 Jul 2010 23:57

And the marriage cert of James Burgess to Annie Roach will give both their fathers.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 29 Jul 2010 12:13

Yes, I agree with Christine and Madmeg, the info I posted doesn't look like your family. It certainly looks as if Ann was previously married to James Roach and her maiden name was Jones.

Alan

Alan Report 19 Aug 2010 16:29

Hi, thank you all for your help, i now have the marriage certificates for james burgess and annie roach.(my great grandparents) and for annie jones to james roach.
confirming the annie was previously married before marrying my great grandfather.
I now know im looking for a james burgess, son of Walter burgess. And a Annie jones, daughter of robert jones.
So fingers crossed i can find the correct family now.