Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WW2 death.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaret in Sussex

Margaret in Sussex Report 30 Jul 2010 13:25

New pair of eyes please.. I am trying to find the death of OH's uncle who memory has it died at Dunkirk..!!! .... To complicate matters it could be one of 2 names as he was known to OH as uncle Jack...

I have a Stephen Arthur Jackson born 1904 and a Benjamin James Jackson born 1910.... Both born & lived in Croydon , Surrey. ..... Am unable to find a death for either... Have them both until 1939 then Zilch.

Have looked in CWGC & war deaths on FMP. transcribed deaths on ancestry to 2005.... Nothing.... Anyone any more ideas please...

Thank you.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 30 Jul 2010 13:32

Surname - Jackson ??

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 30 Jul 2010 13:33

I figured it might be JACKSON too, but Cwwg site is not working at the moment

Gwyn

Margaret in Sussex

Margaret in Sussex Report 30 Jul 2010 13:35

OOOPS sorry... yes Jackson is the surname.

Potty

Potty Report 30 Jul 2010 16:10

Neither name is coming up on the CWGC

jansmith

jansmith Report 30 Jul 2010 22:14

do you know all the uncle's siblings to see if we can find all their birth indexes to find out what year he was born?

Margaret in Sussex

Margaret in Sussex Report 31 Jul 2010 13:32

Thank you for your replies...
Jan ,,,,I have all the other siblings accounted for....wrapped up & put to bed, so to speak... The only 2 not found a death for are Stephen Arthur Jackson born 1904 & Benjamin James Jackson born 1910. (brothers) One of them is known as uncle Jack.... but which.? Nick names.. who needs em when it comes to family research?
sometimes the given names are reversed as in the electoral rolls. I have followed the paper trail via electoral rolls to 1939 then they disappear.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 31 Jul 2010 14:05

There is this death but the birth year is out by 5 years - although I have known that happen before as it depends on who the informant was and how well they knew the deceased:-

Name: Benjamin James Jackson
Birth Date: 4 Aug 1915
Death Registration Month/Year: 1973
Registration district: Islington
Inferred County: Greater London
Volume: 5c
Page: 1457

Kath. x

Margaret in Sussex

Margaret in Sussex Report 31 Jul 2010 14:08

Thank you Kathleen.... I have him on the 1911 census so unfortunately this is not him.
AH see what you mean ... so yes if informantthought he was younger.. !! not just a female thing then... will look into this. So that would mean that he is Toby & Stephen is Jack ???!!!!!
All I need to find now is a marriage of Benjamin to Alice.
Thank you for looking