Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth registration question

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Clare

Clare Report 30 Jul 2010 22:13

Could anyone kindly shed any light as to why someone might be registered twice at birth, once with the fathers surname (presumably!) and once with the mothers. Both have the same reference index numbers etc This was in 1927. I suspect I have found the marriage of the childs parents but 18 years later??
Thanks for any help x

Thelma

Thelma Report 30 Jul 2010 22:17

If a mother registers a child on her own it will have her surname only.
If the father is present then it will have both.

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 30 Jul 2010 22:28

Children nowadays whose parents are not married will often show under both names ...

The marriage 18 years later may explain it.

Have you found any other siblings - maybe in between?

Jill

Clare

Clare Report 30 Jul 2010 22:38

Jill, I had forgotten that when I saw my own Daughters name on the register, that she was down once with my surname, then once with her Dad's surname then again with the double-barelled surname we gave her. I wonder why it is registered like that? So I guess that confirms the child i'm looking at was illegitimate. How strange though that they should go on to marry all those years later! They were only 16/17 when the baby was born though, perhaps that made a difference somehow. They didnt appear to have any more children, maybe the experience proved too traumatic!!
Thansk for the help! :)

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 31 Jul 2010 06:33

What you have described is not uncommon. There is only one registration. There are, however, two index entries, one for each surname, so you can look it up using either name.

Think of it like an index in a book, where there can be several references in the index at the back to a single page or paragraph in the body of the book.

You are also correct in assuming that the likelihood was that the parents were not married at the time whenever you come across this situation.