Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Naval Death records about 1895

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mad Alice

Mad Alice Report 31 Jul 2010 22:03

I wonder if anyone can tell me where I may be able to find a death record for James Allison -born 1855 in Scotland.he was supposed to have been lost at sea round about 1895 (probably just before).
Thanks to anyone who can help. Alice

Mad Alice

Mad Alice Report 1 Aug 2010 21:16

Thank you for that - and sorry I have not got back sooner.
I think he may have just left - although the family story says he was lost at sea, however I have no evidence to say I am right...his wife remarried so she must either have had proof or decided not to hang around and wait for him, wish i knew what happened ... but I suspect I never will unless I find him.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 1 Aug 2010 22:51

Was the wife shown as a widow on her next marriage certificate?
Could he be officially presumed dead after a certain number of years... I'm not sure how that works, especially in Scotland.

Would a death certificate be issued then.?

Have you looked for him on later English census?..in case he just left her.

Gwyn

Mad Alice

Mad Alice Report 1 Aug 2010 23:39

Hi Gwen,
I have looked for him in England after the date of his wife's second marriage - I do not have the certificate so I am not sure what it says but maybe that would be one way forward. Unfortunately I do not have a lot of information about him- I am thinking he was from Scotland - that again is what was said by the family - I can find him possibly on a ship in 1891 - but that is all .
Maybe he did go back to Scotland - if he didn't die that is!
Alice