Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Cost of UK Birth Certificates

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Redharissa

Redharissa Report 1 Aug 2010 13:03

Could someone tell me if it would be cheaper to get one in person, direct from the registry office which issued the original, or is it the same price as through the GRO online ordering system? Thanks

Linda in the Midlands

Linda in the Midlands Report 1 Aug 2010 13:06

I think they are still the same price, haven't ordered any for a while prefer to use the local office if I can they are much quicker and mine doesn't charge me for searching

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 1 Aug 2010 14:37

The cost will be £9 -25p whether you order from the GRO or the register office.

Kath. x

mgnv

mgnv Report 1 Aug 2010 16:07

It's £9.25 thru the GRO and £9.00 at the local office.

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 1 Aug 2010 17:48

Some local offices charge more, check first. If you intend to go in person, check first as I know of some offices who will not issue the certificate on the same day as you make your request - so you have to make two visits, or pay for postage.

The GRO is pretty fast at the moment, but if you need to check any details the local office is usually more helpful.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 1 Aug 2010 20:30

£9.00 at the local office is if you collect in person.

Some may post out for free but most will charge for postage, so check first. GRO is often cheaper.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 1 Aug 2010 22:20

A recently ordered death certificate direct from the local issueing office was £9.
They kindly checked that the man ( with a very common surname ) was the one I wanted and rang me back to confirm this.
It was in the post the next day.

A pat on the back for helpful staff at Wakefield.

Gwyn

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 2 Aug 2010 00:41

The problem is if you do not live in the UK

GRO

..... can order online, charge to credit card, no extra for postage

Record Office

...... require stamped self-addressed envelope, and cannot use a credit card

so

....... they charge an extra £1 per certificate for P&P

....... I have to buy a special sized envelope to self-address (we don't have your A4's or whichever size they require)

....... then I have to go to the bank and get a money order for the total cost

....... then I have to post it all to the UK, airmail rate

The cost of a certificate has in the past reached as much as £15-£16 by the time I've finished!

is it any wonder that I stick with GRO?????

sylvia

Flick

Flick Report 2 Aug 2010 12:58

If you live within walking distance of the relevant register office, it would be cheaper than the GRO online system....otherwise, for the sake of 25 pence............

Redharissa

Redharissa Report 2 Aug 2010 20:07

Thanks everyone. The website of the registry office I wanted came back online and charges £15 (eek!), so I'll guess I'll be opting for the GRO at £9.25. Annoyingly the local registry office would be within walking distance, but the price is way too steep!