Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Island Cottage, Post Street, Godmanchester, Huntin

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Hilary

Hilary Report 1 Aug 2010 22:36

Hi

I have no experience of researching properties and I am trying to find out whether I can trace the homes of several of my ancestors who lived in Godmanchester at the turn of the 1800s. Please could someone advise what type of records one could expect to find if any regarding details of the early occupants of Island Cottage prior to 1841? Would (for example) there be a some sort of ground rent record?

Thank you
Hilary

Hilary

Hilary Report 2 Aug 2010 13:15

Hi Deb

Yes, I did exactly the same as you, the cottage is lovely, isn't it?!

If anyone can give me some advice about what records might be available to discover who the occupants were in the early 1800s , I'd be very grateful.

Thank you
Hilary

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 2 Aug 2010 13:17

The library or Record Office local to the cottage should be able to give you an idea of what sort of records they hold. So would be worth contacting them to see.

Jill

Potty

Potty Report 2 Aug 2010 13:19

You could try writing to the current occupants and asking them if they have or know where the original deeds are.

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 2 Aug 2010 13:25

Current occupiers?

The Richmond Fellowship Hunts & Fens
Island Hall Cottage
17 Post Street
Godmanchester
Cambs
PE29 2BA

Tel: 01480 456257
E-mail: [email protected]

Huntingdon and Fenland RFET helps people who use/have used the mental health services. They provide a work & skills training environment in horticulture and gardening.

Jill

Hilary

Hilary Report 3 Aug 2010 01:17

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions and especially to Mrs Grumpy for going the extra mile and finding out who the occupants are. I will visit the records office and contact the current occupiers to see if I can locate the deeds.

Best wishes
Hilary

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 3 Aug 2010 07:07

Huntingdonshire Archives and Local Studies

Huntingdon Library and Archives Princes Street Huntingdon PE29 3PA
Tel: 01480 372738.

Huntingdon Library and Archives
The new Huntingdon Library and Archives building is now open.

Our brand new building brings together all of Huntingdonshire's written historical resources under one roof, including medieval charters, modern maps, printed books, parish registers and Victorian photographs.

The irreplaceable original documents are stored in a purpose-built secure strongroom, where the temperature and humidity levels are constantly monitored and controlled.

The locations of all the archive documents are managed through a computer-controlled barcode database. Huntingdon Library and Archives (HLA) is the very first local authority repository in the United Kingdom to operate such a system.

Opening times for the Archives

Monday: closed
Tuesday: 9.30-5.30
Wednesday: 9.30-7.00
Thursday: 9.30-5.30
Friday: 9.30-5.30
Saturday 2nd in each month: 9.30-4.00
Sunday: closed.

Please note that documents cannot be produced between 1pm and 2pm or in the last half hour before closing. Documents for our late opening on Wednesdays need to be ordered by 5pm.

Visitors wishing to use original documents will need a CARN (County Archive Research Network) ticket. You can get one free by bringing official proof of your name and home address. Please note that there will be a charge of £1.00 to replace lost or mislaid tickets.

It is advisable to reserve a seat in advance and you'll find us on the first floor of the library.

The main library has different opening times. Please follow the link in the right hand column.

Parking

Note that the library has no public parking available, but does have four disabled bays next to the entrance and lift access to the first floor.

Please follow the link in the right hand column for information about parking in Huntingdon.

(taken from google)

Chris :)

Hilary

Hilary Report 4 Aug 2010 23:10

Thank you very much Chris!

I have actually contacted the current occupiers but haven't yet received a reply so a visit to the local archive is definately on the agenda.

Best wishes
Hilary