Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

finding father of illegitimate child?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Eunice

Eunice Report 1 Aug 2010 22:56

I know I am asking for something akin to a miracle possibly, but I am trying to find details of my father in laws father .......... but on father in laws birth cert it simple says father unknown - this was in 1926. Would the father's name have been recorded elsewhere? The church of his Baptism is now demolished, so I don't think I will find anything. Of those who might have known ......... their lips were sealed and even father in law went to the grave not not knowing who his father was.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 1 Aug 2010 23:00

Baptism records will be elsewhere - find the local archives (usually the nearst main library) and they can advise you. They may be too recent to access though, not sure.
To be honest, I think you will be lucky indeed to find this out. Is there another family member still around who might know? Sometimes such family secrets are passed down to Aunts then cousins for example but the person themselves not told.
Jan

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 1 Aug 2010 23:03

It's unlikely that his father's name is recorded on any 'official' government record. Having said that, could there have been a court case brought by his mother asking for support? That might be worth looking into.

The baptism records, if he was baptised, would probably exist somewhere...possibly the local archive, or even the library may hold a copy on film. I think RC records tend to be kept with the diocese. The naming of the father depended on the vicar, and whether the father attended/acknowledged the child.

Eunice

Eunice Report 1 Aug 2010 23:05

Jan - I have threatened em all with brimstone and thunder but to no avail!!!! Even his cousins were not told, it was a big black family secret ................ but I will try to contact Altrincham library, but as we said, I doubt I will get anywhere, sadly, but thanks for the suggestion.
E,

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 1 Aug 2010 23:06

The records of his baptism will hopefully be in an archive somewhere, .They may name his father, who couldn't be named on a birth certificate unless he was present at the registration.
What area are we talking about. Is this Church of England?

Whether or not father's name is shown is just luck.
On checking old registers for a parish near here, I noted that the vicar had named the reputed father on each and every entry.....
No shirking of responsibility in his parish !

Gwyn

Eunice

Eunice Report 1 Aug 2010 23:10

It was Altrincham, and a Methodist chapel. The family had 'made good' after coming up from Somerset and Parbold and at this point were reasonably well off so I doubt that they would have chased the father for cash. I will try the library when I can, although I do not live in Altrincham, but thanks again

Deborah

Deborah Report 2 Aug 2010 01:46

Hi Eunice. I am from Australia and have found a couple of fathers on Baptism records who were not on the certificates. It all depends on whether the father knew or wanted to know. Did the mother raise the child herself or was he adopted ? Did the father have anything to do with the child? sometimes school records have the fathers name on it as he may have had a change of heart later on after the birth. Also have you tried finding people who knew the family not necessarily family members these people might be more willing to talk. Also try people who might have gone to school with the child they might know. Does the child have an unusual middle name? might help could be the fathers name or last name. These are just a few things I have tried in finding out difficult things that people don't want to talk about. Regards Debbie.

Loopylou

Loopylou Report 2 Aug 2010 16:49

Hi Eunice,my father was born in a workhouse,father unknown,but after years of searching and people saying it was impossible,his middle name was a bit strange,so l started looking for it,and all of a sudden up it came,and yes ,so dont give up it is out there someware in some dark dusty place,good luck.

Ronald

Ronald Report 2 Aug 2010 18:38

The mother may have taken the father to court for child maintenance. Court Records

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 2 Aug 2010 18:54

You say the family had climbed the social ladder. Theres a chance they may have thought their daughter had brought shame on them and refused to support her illegitimate child thus making her claim monies from the father.

Eunice

Eunice Report 2 Aug 2010 20:54

Ronald, Janet, no I can confirm that the family didn't throw her out etc, nor did she try to claim any support money as far as we know - more's the pity really as that would have lead possibly some clues. We never heard Geoff call her 'mum' and indeed he was raised partly by an older sister of his mother's and her husband, but they were childless so once more we have no leads. But I will keep looking, I am hoping to look through some trade directories of the time ....... the only name we heard mentioned was Eric, and that wasn't absolute. Hey ho! Time to sign off now though and go and watch WDYTYA .............. wish I had some of the help those guys get!!
Thanks again, Eunice xxxx

Jilliflower

Jilliflower Report 2 Aug 2010 20:55

Have you looked at his marriage cert to see who he names as father? my granddad John Thompson Smith (Smith being his mother's name)named his father on his wedding cert as Benjamin Smith, Clerk, deceased. When I found his mother's family on the census three months before he was born (lucky me), his mum was young and pregnant and still single, but, lo and behold there was Benjamin Thompson, clerk, living next door but one. Benjaming was a couple of years older than John's mum. I jumped to a very likely conclusion......
Incidentally the mother never married Benjamin but someone else.
(names have been changed to protect the innocent!)
good luck!
Jill

Eunice

Eunice Report 2 Aug 2010 22:42

Thanks Jillian but just to complicate things, Geoff and Jacquie were wed in Mauritius, where she was born .....!!!! But I will ask to see it, thank you for the suggestion.
Having just watched WDYTYA .......... well my Welsh Collins family were Irish ........ from Cork, and yes, as ever there is a branch who say they were related to Michael Collins also ........ it just goes on and on doesn't it??:-)