Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Link to Ordering GRO certificates via Genes R.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Horrace

Horrace Report 3 Aug 2010 14:16

For goodness sake Genes Reunited management and software engineers ! ...Why can you not display a clear link to the GRO on the front page, so that the very many people who post the question in the message boards about the difficulty of locating any link won't have to do so any more?
Horrace
A frustrated Platinum member!

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 3 Aug 2010 14:24

You should be wary of links though as they can put you through to rip off sites that charge the earth for certs and take ages to get them to you, this is because they get them from the GRO and pocket the difference in the charges.

For instance you can link through Ancestry to buy certs but their charges are over the top.

Horrace

Horrace Report 3 Aug 2010 14:32

Yes, I know Shirley, I am already aware of such 'unauthorised' links but I'm talking about a link provided by GR and clearly known by all users to be genuine...That's what I would like to see!

Thanks, Horrace

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 3 Aug 2010 14:48

Hi Horrace.
Genes dont actually hold any records they direct you to other sites so cant see how they could add the GRO website to their info when you are viewing records.or am I misunderstanding ?

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 3 Aug 2010 14:50

I don't need GR to provide a link to the GRO. I have my own already in My Bookmarks under Genealogy.

Horrace

Horrace Report 3 Aug 2010 17:23

Hi Shirley,

There is already a link in G R to the Identity and Passport Services site where one orders the certs., but one has to know where to go to find it !
One needs to go into the FAQs site and look for the relevant question in the "full list of FAQs". My objection is that it's such a long- winded way to find it, and most people might not bother, and give up on Genes R use as a result. So it's in the interests of GR to make the link immediately apparent in the HOME PAGE.

Best wishes,

Horrace

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 3 Aug 2010 17:28

Why?

Most of us on here never use the Home Page anyway. The more experienced of us save a link in our Bookmarks to take us to the GR page they use most. Mine takes me to Tips as one of the first things I do is to see what mayhem is happening on the boards since I last logged in. I wouldn't even know what the 'Home' page looks like these days.

Non-issue for me, sorry.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 4 Aug 2010 06:54

Non-issue for me also

I have GR in Favourites on my computer, it takes me to the Home Page, and then I go wherever I want to go.

I also have all my other sites in Favourites .................. including ancestry, freebmd, and GRO

sylvia