Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adding second Marriage

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carol

Carol Report 4 Aug 2010 07:40

Can you please tell me when adding a second marriage when both parties were widowed - what surname should I enter on my tree for the female? Do I have to enter her former married name then add her first husband or do I go straight to her maiden name?
Thanks for any advise
regards Carol

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 4 Aug 2010 07:57

In such circumstances I would enter the lady under her maiden name. You can use "Notes" to record the fact that she was previously married to ....

Carol

Carol Report 4 Aug 2010 08:05

Thank you for that info - am gradually getting the hang of this.
regards from Carol

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 4 Aug 2010 13:34

I have this in my tree and for my own "memories" sake I put lady down under her maiden name & also entered her husband. They had no children so it was just for my own recording purposes. This was not necessary as said before, just enter her name & in the notes you can pur her husbands details there.

But if they had had children then they would have been step-siblings of any children from 2nd husbands 2st marriage or half-siblings of any children from their 2nd marriage, so in both cases the entry of 1st husband & children would have been imperative.

Carol

Carol Report 5 Aug 2010 00:18

Thanks for that extra info. Yes, second wife had a son from first marriage so was step brother to my mother and her brothers so will add first husband and the son.
thanks to all on here offering advice - every bit helps.