Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Two trees?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 6 Aug 2010 08:50

Could someone please tell me if it's possible to have two trees on GR.

My mums cousin has asked me if I would research her late husbands family. Although I have him in my tree, I don't really want to add his ancestors to mine.

Thanks

Chris

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 6 Aug 2010 09:10

Yes you can but you will need to open a separate account. This could be a free account.

From the FAQ pages under GR Help:-

"Can more than one person use the same email address?

Yes, the same email address can be used for more than one person as long as the password is different.

To register as a different member, click on the Sign Out link in the top right of the site and then click on Register Now Free and fill in all of the new member's details - the boxes will be blank initially.

When using a shared PC, it is important that each member logs off so as not to overwrite the other person’s details the next time they log in to Genes Reunited. A way to ensure this is by unchecking the remember password indicator when you enter your login details."

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 6 Aug 2010 09:47

InspectorGreenPen, thank you for taking the time to reply. It is very much appreciated.

Chris

Thelma

Thelma Report 6 Aug 2010 11:20

I have three trees.To avoid logging in and out to switch to the other tree.
Go to the bottom of this page and click on one of the flags and log in there.
You can be logged in to five accounts at the same time.

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 6 Aug 2010 18:11

Hi SatNav,

Thanks for the tip.

Chris

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 22 Aug 2010 18:21

Hi DF,

If you open a free account on here, members would be ble to contact you but you would not be able to initiate contact, I think I am right in saying this.

I have now got a second tree on here. I did as was advised, used my own e-mail address but used a different password.

Sorry, don't know the answer to the second part of your question.

Chris

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 22 Aug 2010 20:28

It might be me, but I cannot see why you would need two trees. I am not familiar with the reporting facilities of GR, but I have my tree on my computer and I have all sorts of families in there, including totally unrelated ones where friends have asked me to have a look at theirs. The reports I can produce for my own family don't include other families, so I don't have a need for separate trees.

Apart from that, I have found, three or four times now, connections between my own family and others that I thought were not connected, simply because they were on the same tree. E.g. Someone contacted me and said I have John Smith who married Mary Jones, do you agree? Now John Smith was in one tree, and Mary Jones in the other, so I would never have made any connection - but it turned out this person was right.

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 22 Aug 2010 21:27

It's just a thought Debs,

You don't need to send messages from the free membership as you can search for possible matches and then send a message from your other membership.

Chris

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 24 Aug 2010 01:53

Okay DF. I am therefore assuming that your husband is of a different nationality to you and that all his ancestors originate from a different country to yours. If that is not the case, I think you are a little short-sighted, cos my husband and I share three common ancesters (twice removed or similar), and similarly with my son in law.

Margaret

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 24 Aug 2010 08:55

My wife's tree is connected to my tree by virtue of the fact we got married back in 1973.....!