Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Twins

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Aprilshower

Aprilshower Report 6 Aug 2010 21:15

Hi
My friends mum was told she had a twin brother that died, is there any way of finding out?

Thanks

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 6 Aug 2010 21:21

If he survived birth then his birth should have been registered at the same time as your friends mother. The birth cert. should be under the same volume and reference number as your friends mother, if you want to PM me with your friends mums details I will take a look for you. It should be by PM as you shouldn`t put living peoples details on the boards.

If he was stillborn then he may be on the stillborn register, but i`m not sure who can get access to that, presumably the parents, and maybe your friends mother seeing as she was a sibling.

Nicky

Trevor

Trevor Report 6 Aug 2010 21:31

Since 1927, stillbirths (beyond 24 weeks gestation) have been registered separately, in a register that is closed from public access. A single stillbirth registration takes the place of both birth and death registration for the stillborn infant. Prior to 1960 such certificates gave no cause of death.

Stillbirth certificates can only be ordered by the mother or father of the deceased contacting the General Register Office by phone or letter. In the event of the parents both having died, a sibling can order the certificate if they can provide the dates of death for both parents
hope this helps
trevor

Aprilshower

Aprilshower Report 6 Aug 2010 21:37

Hi

Thankyou everyone for your replies and help.
Nicky I have P.M. you

Thankyou

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 6 Aug 2010 22:05

Have returned a PM to you.

Info for other helpers....

Unfortunatly i couldn`t find another birth, so presumably the way forward will be the stillborn register.

nicky

Geraldine

Geraldine Report 7 Aug 2010 02:12

Multiple births in England and Wales have the time of birth entered on the birth certificate. Single births do not. Ask your friend's mum to see if a time is shown.

However, I'm not sure if time is stated if one of the twins was still born.

On Scottish birth certs the time of birth is given on single births.

Hope this helps.

Gerry