Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Is there a gremlin at work?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 8 Aug 2010 00:56

I use about 6 websites regularly in the course of a week. Ancestry, Genes Reunited, Find My Past, the Alzheimers website and a few others. I logged into them years ago, and have rarely been logged out. Suddenly (last week) they all require me to log in on each occasion, i.e. daily. Why? They all remember my password. But I have to remember my log-in name (all different!), and it is a bind.

Why has this suddenly happened (no change of computer, no crash, no alteration of settings), and how do I get it back to how it used to be?

Margaret

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 8 Aug 2010 06:07

Have you used a clean-up program recently, anti-spyware or anti-virus for example, and inadvertently cleared out your cookies?

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 8 Aug 2010 14:26

That happened to me when I used CCleaner- Ancestry/GR/Findmypast etc- but I only had to do the re log in once,it was ok after that

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 8 Aug 2010 19:23

If you use CCleaner, there is a facility to preserve your favourite cookies so this doesn't happen.

Before running it,

Select Options, then Cookies. Using the arrows, move the references for all the sites that you access on a regular basis to the right hand side, under "Cookies to Keep"

Any that you don't want, move to the left, under "Cookies to Delete"

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 8 Aug 2010 23:12

I had not run any sort of maintenance on my computer when the gremlin struck. However, a few days later I deleted temporary internet files, but chose the option to retain cookies.

I've just used System Restore back a fortnight, and had all sorts of problems as it told me that my virus software was corrupted. So I have restored it back to the current date. But the problem of having to keep logging in remains. I am no computer whizz-kid at all, so any help gratefully received.

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 9 Aug 2010 01:34

My Virus software is Kaspersky, if that helps.