Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Query about info on marriage certificate

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Clare

Clare Report 9 Aug 2010 23:35

Hello :) Can anyone offer me an informed opinion on why the father's name and surname box would be just struck across(as in not filled and just with a line through) on both the bride and grooms bit on an 1842 marriage cert.
The first thing that comes to mind is that neither of them knew the name of their father, but I relly do find that hard to believe. I just wondered if anyone had ever come across this before (as I haven't in over 10 years of family research!! :s
Thanks, in advance, for any help:)
Clare

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 9 Aug 2010 23:39

I've seen this from time-to-time, though quite a co-incidence that it is the case with both of them. Do you have them on 1841 census report?
Jan

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 9 Aug 2010 23:45

I would say that they're both illegitimate and don't know fathers' names.

Clare

Clare Report 9 Aug 2010 23:47

I can't find either of them for definate on the 1841 census. Its just too difficult with it stating only the county the person was born in :s There are no obvious choices thats for sure. Thats why I got the marriage cert really to give me more info but unfortunately its left me with more questions than answers!! :s

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 9 Aug 2010 23:49

The only other clues are any addresses and witnesses. Maybe if you post all info onto here folks can take a look.
Jan

Clare

Clare Report 9 Aug 2010 23:49

Maragaret, The groom certainly isn't as I have his parents names/marriage etc which is why i'm looking for any other reasons it may not be filled in

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 10 Aug 2010 00:00

Sorry to ask the obvious, but are you 100% sure you have the same person?
Jan

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 10 Aug 2010 00:06

I'd be inclined to say both are illegitimate so can't give father's names.

You say you have the groom's parent's marriage. Where have you got that from? Was it parish records or was it from the IGI which may have been a submitted record which isn't always accurate. It can't be from a marriage certificate as there wouldn't have been registration at that time.

Kath. x

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 10 Aug 2010 09:24

I received one recently for a marriage in 1861 which only had the words deceased for both fathers, no names.

As the brides birthplace never changed on any census I believe it's the right marriage as in the 1861 census records in the woman I believe was her mother was shown to be a widow. Only two possible deaths for the father which was in 1854.

If the grooms right his father died in 1860 so I think it must be the right marriage.

Certificates don't always help do they.

Chris