Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

birth date entries

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Cherril

Cherril Report 10 Aug 2010 03:53

Can someone please tell me how to enter names without a birth date . I don't want to put in a guess but if that's the only way , tbirthhat's what I'll have to do. Just trying to give them some protection from identity theft or is that not seen as a problem any more?

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 10 Aug 2010 06:52

On GR give it your best guess and tick the box to denote it is an approximate date.

If you have concerns about identity theft, then don't put names on a public website.

Cherril

Cherril Report 10 Aug 2010 07:26

thank you for that. I had thought the same things but wondered if there was some quick fix. Thanks again.

Thelma

Thelma Report 10 Aug 2010 11:29

I have several dates entered as 0.
I thought it better than a wild guess.
Edit
There are two boxes,one is the birth year and the other is the actual date of birth.
Because of identity theft it is wise to leave out the date of birth for living people.

Cherril

Cherril Report 10 Aug 2010 13:57

Thanks for the reply. I have been using 0 in the birth year but I hit problems when I tried to change some info belonging to the parents, not the birth year,just place of birth. No change allowed because the children were born before the parents. I think I have to put in an approx date in place of the zeros otherwise its delete these entries in order to get the ones further down the line correct. I am sorry if this is confusing. Thanks for your help