Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

GRO security warning box!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

poppycat

poppycat Report 10 Aug 2010 06:40

Has anyone encountered when ordering Certs thru GRO a Security Warning Box that seems to appear on every page.
I have not encountered this previously.
Can i trust this site, makes me feel uneasy about ordering now with personal details.

Oh ! one Box that appears says Certificate information issued to gro .....
Issued by global sign organization etc...
Valid from 26 5 2010 to 7 7 2011
Install cert ....

??????? Can someone explain please1

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 10 Aug 2010 06:47

It is the certificate telling you that the site is genuine.

I only see this message if I click on the secure padlock at the bottom right of the page, so not sure why it should pop up on each page.

poppycat

poppycat Report 10 Aug 2010 07:40

InspectorGreenPen

um interesting as this is quite an annoyance really.
Thanks for your reply!

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 10 Aug 2010 08:40

Just doing a bit of Googling and one reason it might pop up by itself is that your pc's clock is not correct.

Right click the system tray time clock> Adjust time & Date> Internet time> Update now. (Make sure your system is set to 'Automatic Synchronize...' while you're here)

Another reason if you use XP is that you are not up to date with your microfsoft updates.

With Internet Explorer, go to Microsoft Updates, then select the 'Custom' button (not the 'Express'). That will tell you all specific updates for your computer (hardware & software) and in this case the certificate updates.

MarkMorgan

MarkMorgan Report 10 Aug 2010 15:27

It is asking for you to install the SSL security certificate for some reason. Those details match what I am seeing when clicking the padlock icon.

Try installing the "Update for Root Certificates [May 2010] (KB931125)" from Microsoft

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e4f9b573-66d7-4dda-95d5-26c7d0f6c652&displaylang=en

Cheers,
Mark.