Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Any tips on when a name has been mis transcribed?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Marcelle

Marcelle Report 10 Aug 2010 12:56

Does any one have any tips on how to find people if/when a name has been mistranscribed?

I have been looking since last November for a family in the 1841 census and previously asked for help with no joy.

William White Snelgrove 1804 Bristol
Ann Charlotte 1807 Bath

1851 census
Ann O Snellgrove 42
William W Snellgrove 15
Thomas W Snellgrove 13
Elizabeth A W Snellgrove 9
Susan W Snellgrove 8
Georgianna W Snellgrove 5
Selena W Snellgrove 2

I am missing the whole family in 1841. In 1846 the family are living at 8 Claremont Cottages, Bethnal Green when daughter Georgina was born.

William White Snelgrove married Ann Charlotte Nicholls at some stage. William was an accountant. The only marriage I can find is on IGI in 1837 in Bristol which is suspicious as daughter Maria died in 1837 in London. Some of the children were born in London yet baptised in Bristol. William 1804 father was also William White Snelgrove 1789 baptised at Wedmore, Somerset, also an accountant. His wife was Mary Ann ? And his parents were Israel Snelgrove and Hannah White

Any help or pointers very much appreciated. This family has links with Middlesex (Hackney Road and City Road) and also links with Wedmore in Somerset.

The 1841 census would be the icing on the cake as I have everything after, including marriages, deaths and children etc

Thanks for any advice in advance

Marcelle

NicolaDunbyNocula

NicolaDunbyNocula Report 10 Aug 2010 13:20

could this be them? I looked at the information that you have given and although it says snelgrove looks like they have 2 surnames, so searched in the White one.

1841 England Census
about William White
Name: William White
Estimated birth year: abt 1806

Civil parish: St James
Hundred: Bristol City
County/Island: Gloucestershire

Street Address:

Registration district: Bristol
Sub-registration district: St James
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
William White 35
Charlotte White 40
Emma Crease 15

Marcelle

Marcelle Report 10 Aug 2010 13:32

Thanks Nicola. It's a possible but the children are not there with them. This family have been a real pain.

NicolaDunbyNocula

NicolaDunbyNocula Report 10 Aug 2010 13:41

Your welcome, it is possible that the other 2 children are staying with relatives. Also have noticed that on all the childrens names they have W as an initial and after looking at the fathers middle name, White is not a name you would associate with a middle name. I know its a long shot but maybe try searching with White as surname and see what happens.

Have you tried getting marriage cert for the parents and birth certs for at least 1 of the children to see what is on there?

Nicola

Marcelle

Marcelle Report 10 Aug 2010 13:50

Daughter Georgina's birth cert has her as Georgina White (White as middle name) Snellgrove. She was born at 8 Claremont Cottages, 18 Jan 1846, Bethnal Green, Hackney road. In 1846 I also found her brother William White Snellgrove 1835 in a court case as a witness to a theft. He said he was living at Claremont Cottages with his father. With the kids before 1837 on the baptisms they have the middle name as White also.

I am really stumped with this 1841 census. I have wills that take me back to 1816 and they are all referred to as White Snelgrove/Snellgrove.

Thanks for looking though Nicola

Marcelle

NicolaDunbyNocula

NicolaDunbyNocula Report 10 Aug 2010 14:02

I can see why you are stumped and completely stuck....How strange for all the children and the father to have White as a middle name.

Nicola

Marcelle

Marcelle Report 10 Aug 2010 14:11

Nicola I have so many William White Snellgrove's and William White's I don't know if I am coming or going!! William White Snellgrove1835 dad was William White Snellgrove 1804, his dad was William White Snellgrove 1789 whose dad thank goodness was Israel Snellgrove who married Hannah White. Hannah White's dad was William White and her brother William White. The brother William White was a land surveyor based in Sand near Wedmore . Now I can find him in google books and a few bits and bobs but nothing really else but it's possible his son was William White and he also had a nephew William White who was a reverand! So as you can see this family has driven me mad over the last couple of years but things are slowly coming together.

Great to get that off my chest!

Thanks for looking

Marcelle

MarkMorgan

MarkMorgan Report 10 Aug 2010 14:34

How about this one?

1841 census transcription details for: Brook Street, Hackney, Stamford Hill, Tower Hamlets

National Archive Reference:
RG number: HO107 Piece: 700 Book/Folio: 12/14 Page: 22

Reg. District: Hackney Sub District: Stamford Hill
Parish: Hackney Enum. District:
Ecclesiastical District: City/Municipal Borough: Tower Hamlets

Address: Brook Street, Hackney, Stamford Hill, Tower Hamlets
County: Middlesex

SCRATCHFIELD, William M 35 1806
SCRATCHFIELD, Maria F 35 1806
SCRATCHFIELD, Sarah F 10 1831 Middlesex
S???, Maria F (-) Middlesex
S???, Ann F 6 1835 Middlesex
S???, William M 4 1837 Middlesex
S???, Thos M 1 1840 Middlesex

The image doesn't look anything like "Scratchfield" to me! The surname starts with S, the head is William, the last two children are a William and Thomas as you require and there's a Maria in there. And it's in Hackney.

Mark.

Marcelle

Marcelle Report 10 Aug 2010 14:41

Thanks Mark

Will take a closer look.