Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Have Hit a Brick Wall

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lynda Carol

Lynda Carol Report 10 Aug 2010 13:59

I have hit a thick, brick wall. I have a relateive, Joseph Firkins brn abt 1834 in West Bromwich Staffs, info according to census from 1851 onwards never been able to find him on the 1841. I have both his marriage certs which state that his Father is Jeremiah Firkins a Boatman. Using this info, and info from another searching rellie, we thought that Jeremiah brn abt 1805 West Bromwich was Josephs Father, here is the wall- all of Jeremiahs children, may have been brn in West Brom, but are shown as being christened in Birmingham and Joseph is'nt one of them. The church reg at West Brom has been searched, but I cannot find a Joseph Firkins, brn abt the right time, anywhere. Where to I go from here

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 10 Aug 2010 14:10

Have you followed each of the baptised children ( with father Jeremiah ) forward incase one of them changes his name and becomes Joseph ?... not unheard of.......

You could try checking surrounding parishes for a baptism, or even elsewhere perhaps in a church near grandparents.
As a boatman, did he travel far?

I have a couple on my tree who had children in Wales, but took them to their own parents' home in Herefordshire to be christened.

Gwyn

Lynda Carol

Lynda Carol Report 10 Aug 2010 14:16

Many Thanks for the reply, yes have tried to track them, have not always been able to find all of them on the census, but still cannot find Joseph

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 10 Aug 2010 14:36

On his marriage certificate (1855 West Bromwich?) does his age tie in with a 1834 birth?

Gwyn has a good point. I have recently been working on a friends family tree for him and as far as he knew his grandfather was called John. His grandfather even formed a company part of the name was John ****** and Sons. When looking for his birth registration initially nothing could be found. Eventually at the point of admitting defeat we sent for a copy of a birth certificate registered as Frederick and the parents details confirmed that John was really Frederick. Census records, his company, his marriage and his death were all recorded as John.

Incidentally the name Firkin used to be well known in West Bromwich on account of Firkins bakery. In the 1940's and 1950's they employed a lot of the local young ladies and they had shops throughout the region.

Lynda Carol

Lynda Carol Report 10 Aug 2010 14:44

Thanks for that, yes his age does tie in with his marriage certs. Will just have to keep on looking, many thanks

Pam

Pam Report 10 Aug 2010 15:01

This is the only Jeremiah I can see and he is not a Boatman. The image is too feint to read but the occupation does include ?gl?

1841 England Census

Name: Jermiah Forker

[Jeremiah Firkins]

Estimated birth year: abt 1811
Where born: Staffordshire, England

Civil parish: West Bromwich
Hundred: South Offlow
County/Island: Staffordshire

Street Address:

Registration district: West Bromwich
Sub-registration district: West Bromwich Southwest
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Jermiah Forker 30
Hannah Forker 25

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece 978; Book: 8; Civil Parish: West Bromwich; County: Staffordshire; Enumeration District: 17; Folio: 33; Page: 21; Line: 23; GSU roll: 474614.

safc

safc Report 10 Aug 2010 15:06

hi
could this be him?
Births Mar 1840 (>99%)
Firkin Joseph W. Bromwich 18 603

Lynda Carol

Lynda Carol Report 12 Aug 2010 10:48

Many thanks for the replies, sorry for the lateness of this reply I have had pc probs. The Jeremiah and Hannah are another branch of the family, I am hampered by the fact that Jeremiah and Joseph are family names, used by all branches of the large Firkins family. I will try and look up the Joseph born 1840 and see where thay leads me-again many, many thanks

Pam

Pam Report 12 Aug 2010 18:41

1861 England Census
about Jerumah Firkins
Name: Jerumah Firkins
[Jeremiah Firkins]
Estimated birth year: abt 1833
Relation: Boatman Master (Master)
Spouse's name: Emma
Where born: Birmingham, Staffordshire, England

Civil parish: Vessels
County/Island: Staffordshire

Street Address:

Condition as to marriage:

Registration district: Cheadle
Sub-registration district: Ipstones
ED, institution, or vessel: Industry (2)
Neighbors:
Household schedule number: 1
Household Members: Name Age
Jerumah Firkins 28
Emma Firkin 27
Elizabeth Firkin 6
John Firkin 4
Eliza Firkin 4 Mo
Charles Perry 21

Source Citation: Class: RG9; Piece: 1951; Folio: 176; Page: ; GSU roll: 542893