Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

deserter world war i

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

kath23

kath23 Report 10 Aug 2010 18:12

Does anyone know if there are any searchable records of deserters from the 1st world war or did records not survive ?
thanks Kath

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 10 Aug 2010 18:23

Kath

I don't know of any records, the only thing i can offer is this link to World War one cemeteries which name those executed for desertion etc who are buried in each cemetery.

Link

http://ww1cemeteries.com/othercemeteries/shotatdawnlist.htm

George

kath23

kath23 Report 10 Aug 2010 18:29

Thank you for the reply but the person I am looking for was not shot.
He took on the identity of his older brother killed in the war and lived under that name until the 1970's !
Thank you any way,may help someone else
kath

NicolaDunbyNocula

NicolaDunbyNocula Report 10 Aug 2010 20:58

The only thing I can think of is by going to where military records are held and trying to obtain his file. From what I am aware from what others have said on here, is that the oldest living imediate relative can obtain his war records. But I can't remember the name of where these records are held, maybe someone else could tell you more about that. There maybe something in there about his desertion as well as other details about his time in the militar.

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 10 Aug 2010 21:50

No records were kept of deserters as far as I know. Your best bet is to look on Ancestry to see if his WW1 records have survived, but bear in mind that lots didn't.

kath23

kath23 Report 11 Aug 2010 08:48

Thank you for the replies.
I am at a disadvantage as I do not know what regiment he belonged to. I do have a grainy photo of him in uniform , I will have to see if there are any indications of his regiment on that. I have a feeling there may be a cap badge,will take a look.
Thanks again really appreciate your help
Kath

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 11 Aug 2010 12:58

Kathryn...If I recall correctly the names of "Deserters/ AWOL" were held by the Police in both WW1 and WW2...apparently they were the ones who "searched for and apprehended them"

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 11 Aug 2010 15:27

You don't have to know which regiment he was in to search for his service records. The records usually contain some personal information so you'd know whether you have the right man or not. If he had a very common name though, there will be lots to search through!