Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Widow/widowers 1782

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Donna

Donna Report 10 Aug 2010 22:05

Hi,
I have a rellie one John Thresher who married and Ann Scot of hte same parish(Shenley Herts) both were noted as widows/er, and were married by licence. I am totally stuck I cannot take my tree any further, as I cannot find his birth, any advice?? I guess apart from going to HALS and combing back through all the records there isnt anythign else I can do? Any ideas from anyone would be great, getting to ALS is not so easy anymore. many thanks

Peter

Peter Report 10 Aug 2010 22:10

Donna,

You need to trawl the parish registers of contiguous parishes. Welcome to active genealogy.

Peter

Liz 47

Liz 47 Report 10 Aug 2010 22:21

Have you tried a search on this site to see if anyone else is looking for the family,
Good luck,
Liz

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 10 Aug 2010 22:49

FreeREG maybe?

Jill

Donna

Donna Report 11 Aug 2010 22:00

I went to Hals and did days and days of trawling but that was some years ago now I have a toddler and another on the way not so easy anymore, I had hoped that all things had gone internet!! haha I will check out free reg, thanks, I know that no-one else is doing this branch and I know thwt it must originate from Somerset/Cornwall way and im going there on hols next month. If I dont get a lead before then then will have to wait till next year!x

Liz 47

Liz 47 Report 11 Aug 2010 22:13

Try a site called Genogold, they have some parish records online for parts of Cornwall, (free) and The Somerset History Group, they are very helpful - they have a website.
Good luck,
Liz

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 12 Aug 2010 02:03

He's Thrusher on BVRI:

THRUSHER, John Marriage
Wife: Ann SCOT
Marriage Date: 19 Nov 1782 Recorded in: Shenley, Hertfordshire, England
Source: FHL Film 1040659 Dates: 1760 - 1837

Donna

Donna Report 13 Aug 2010 15:25

Interesting thanks Ann, I have a copy of the marriage but will search on Thrusher and see what crops up!!!xxx