Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Anyone heard of river stort Roydon?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

NicolaDunbyNocula

NicolaDunbyNocula Report 12 Aug 2010 00:23

I have a bit puzzler that has been bugging me for years and anyone that might be able to help will be much appreciated.

I have an Ancester William Trussell, b c1841 and died c1861.... I wondered why I couldn't find him after 1861....He appears on the 1861 census with his family but didn't on the 1871 census. After looking at a Bunyon Tree it said that he died in river stort Royden in 1861....That was the puzzler Does anyone know where I can begin to find out whether this happened and how it happened. I have no idea where to begin. I tried a couple of years ago to see if there is anyway I can view newspaper articals but ended up drawing a blank, especially when I saw that the river stort is 22 km, it just seems that it covers quite a large area. Any help that anyone can give would be great as I would love to have this resolved.

Thanks Nicola

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 12 Aug 2010 00:30

Is this his death:-

Name: William Trussell
Year of Registration: 1861
Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
District: Epping
County: Essex
Volume: 4a
Page: 39

Epping registration district covers Roydon.

The certificate should give you the cause of death.

Kath. x

NicolaDunbyNocula

NicolaDunbyNocula Report 12 Aug 2010 00:39

Thanks kath that Is correct, Someone who gave me the bunyon got that information from the ceritificate.....I just wanted to find out some information about it and how it happened, which is what I have been searching for.....Just to note I was given the bunyon tree years ago and now can't remember who gave it me, but if I remember rightly they didn't know how it happened either....I didn't know that epping covers roydon so thx for that....William came from great pardon essex which is where he would of been living at time.

Thanks again Nicola

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 12 Aug 2010 00:44

I would have thought that the accident (if it was an accident) would have been reported in the local papers (either in Roydon or where he was living at the time). Back copies of local newspapers are usually kept on microfilm at the library nearest to where the event took place, or where the person lived.

Kath. x

NicolaDunbyNocula

NicolaDunbyNocula Report 12 Aug 2010 00:51

I Just didn't know where to begin, I don't know Roydon and haven't clue how big the area is so didn't know where abouts I would need to search records, if there are any. So the little bit of help you have given has helped a lot.

I wonder if there is anywhere online where I might be able to search records, or would I have to go to the place in question at the local library to search?

Thanks Nicola

mgnv

mgnv Report 12 Aug 2010 01:44

The R Stort runs from just N of Clavering, thru Bishop's Stortford & Harlow to join the R Lea at Roydon.
It seems to be navigable as far as Bishop's Stortford.

Why not ask Harlow library what newspaper would cover the area back then, and who holds copies of it.

http://os.essexcc.gov.uk/libraries/findalibrary/libdetail.asp?LibID=37

NicolaDunbyNocula

NicolaDunbyNocula Report 12 Aug 2010 10:02

Thank you mgnv I will get in contact with them and see what they say.

Nicola

Janet

Janet Report 12 Aug 2010 10:43

Unable to answer your query but I found this when looking at newspapers for info on-line. Whilst it may not be one of your relations it seemed too likely not to be: Taken from the Essex Standard 5th Oct 1838
Harlow District
Epping Agricultural Society
First Class 40's
William Trussell labouring husbandman,brought up a large family, without receiving parochial relief and worked in Service of Major Bailey of Parndon;good character 30 years - Recommended by Major Bailey.-JLe