Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

East End London Parishes!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

poppycat

poppycat Report 12 Aug 2010 04:05

Could someone tell me when 'East Enders' are mentioned what Parishes would that include.......

In my research i have past Family from Pancras Middlesex Islington & Marylebone.

I am not familiar with London as i'm from another country, but with great interest in the 'East Enders'

Where can i find a good map of 'Old London'

Many Thanks!

jax

jax Report 12 Aug 2010 04:42

Eastenders the programme is fiction

East london have the postcodes E.1 to E.18

E.1 I think is Bethnal Green area E.18 Woodford and they are in somesort of alphabetical order.

Islington is more north London but very close.

Someone will probably correct me about this

Postcode district Post town Coverage Local authority area
E1 LONDON Eastern head district: Aldgate (part), Bishopsgate (part), Whitechapel, Shoreditch (part), Spitalfields, Shadwell, Stepney, Mile End (part), Portsoken Tower Hamlets, Hackney, City of London
E1W LONDON Wapping Tower Hamlets
E2 LONDON Bethnal Green district: Bethnal Green, Haggerston, Shoreditch (part), Cambridge Heath Tower Hamlets, Hackney
E3 LONDON Bow district: Bow, Bromley-by-Bow, Old Ford, Mile End, Three Mills, London Gas Museum Tower Hamlets, Newham
E4 LONDON Chingford district: Chingford, Sewardstone, Highams Park Waltham Forest, Epping Forest
E5 LONDON Clapton district: Upper Clapton, Lower Clapton, Leyton (part) Stoke Newington (part) Hackney, Waltham Forest
E6 LONDON East Ham district: East Ham, Beckton, Upton Park (part), Barking (part) Newham, Barking and Dagenham
E7 LONDON Forest Gate district: Forest Gate, Stratford (part) Newham, Waltham Forest
E8 LONDON Hackney district: Hackney Central, Dalston, London Fields Hackney
E9 LONDON Homerton district: Homerton, Hackney Wick, South Hackney, Hackney Marshes, Victoria Park Hackney, Tower Hamlets
E10 LONDON Leyton district: Leyton, Temple Mills, Hackney Marshes (part) Upper Clapton (part), Walthamstow Marshes Waltham Forest, Hackney
E11 LONDON Leytonstone district: Leytonstone, Wanstead, Snaresbrook, Cann Hall Waltham Forest, Redbridge
E12 LONDON Manor Park district: Manor Park, Little Ilford, Aldersbrook Newham, Redbridge
E13 LONDON Plaistow district: Plaistow, West Ham (part), Upton Park (part) Newham
E14 LONDON Poplar district: Poplar, Isle of Dogs, Limehouse, Canary Wharf, Blackwall, Cubitt Town Tower Hamlets
E15 LONDON Stratford district: Stratford, West Ham (part), Maryland, Leyton (part), Leytonstone (part) Temple Mills (part), Hackney Wick (part), Bow (part) Newham, Waltham Forest, Hackney, Tower Hamlets
E16 LONDON Victoria Docks district: Silvertown, North Woolwich, Canning Town, Custom House, London City Airport Newham
E17 LONDON Walthamstow district: Walthamstow, Upper Walthamstow Waltham Forest
E18 LONDON Woodford district: Woodford, South Woodford Redbridge
E77 LONDON Non-geographic postcode district (NatWest, located in E1) Tower Hamlets
E98 LONDON Non-geographic postcode district (News International, located in E1W) Tower Hamlets

The extra ones are new on me

jax

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 12 Aug 2010 04:42

This is from Wikipedia which has a lot more detail.

East End of London
The term 'East End' was first applied to the districts immediately to the east of, and entirely outside, the medieval walled City of London and north of the River Thames; these included Whitechapel and Stepney. By the late 19th century, the East End roughly corresponded to the Tower division of Middlesex, which from 1900 formed the metropolitan boroughs of Stepney, Bethnal Green, Poplar and Shoreditch in the County of London. Today it corresponds to the London Borough of Tower Hamlets and the southern part of Hackney.

Islington would not be counted as East End being to the north. I think Pancras would be counted as the City, and Marylebone as west.

jax

jax Report 12 Aug 2010 04:56

Although these places are in London, some used to be classed as Essex.

I was born in Walthamstow and birth cert says county of Essex

jax

poppycat

poppycat Report 12 Aug 2010 06:30

Thankyou, Jax & Ozibird, you are Gems! as i have no knowledge of London & you have given me something to go on now.

Many Thanks!

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 12 Aug 2010 07:26

Best place I know of for maps online:
http://archivemaps.com/mapco/index.htm

Make sure you scroll down the page, and click on map for enlargement.

Ozi

Also more specific info on Pancras from GENUKI, The National Gazetteer (1868)]:
ST. PANCRAS, a parish and extensive suburban district of London, in the Holborn division of the hundred of Ossulstone and borough of Marylebone, county Middlesex, 2½ miles N.W. of St. Paul's.(Cathedral)

ST. MARYLEBONE, a parish and parliamentary borough in the Holborn division of the hundred of Ossulstone, county Middlesex, forming the north-western portion of the metropolis, about 2½ miles N.W. by W. of St. Paul's.

ISLINGTON, (or Islington St. Mary) a parish, forming part of the Metropolitan borough of Finsbury, in the Finsbury division of the hundred of Ossulstone, county Middlesex. It is an extensive suburban parish, 2 miles N. of St. Paul's, London.

Looks like they are all north of the City.

The 1795 map on the archivemaps website shows Pancras and Islington as villages north of London. The 1868 map of London can be enlarged to identify street names. Fascinating, I could spend hours there.

mgnv

mgnv Report 12 Aug 2010 08:05

For a map showing London parishes:
http://archivemaps.com/mapco/parish/parish.htm