Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adding a 2nd wife

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Terence Michael

Terence Michael Report 12 Aug 2010 05:58

I am trying to add a second wife to a family, but no matter what I do, the second wife is added first on the tree. Is there any particular way I can overcome this?
Cheers Kristin

K

K Report 12 Aug 2010 06:07

It seems to relate to the age of the wives I have found and for whatever reason it puts the oldest wife first!

Terence Michael

Terence Michael Report 12 Aug 2010 06:10

Thanks K, maybe if I tick unsure for the age of the second wife, it might work, will give it a go
Cheers Kristin

Terence Michael

Terence Michael Report 12 Aug 2010 06:13

Nope, didn't work :(

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 12 Aug 2010 07:23

It is ordered by year of birth field, not the date of birth. I have just tested it. You need to let the screen re-draw before you can see the effect.

Terence Michael

Terence Michael Report 13 Aug 2010 07:07

Tried putting the 2nd wife in again, saved then went off Genes and re-entered. Clicked on full tree, but after re-drawing it still puts the second wife firs. grrrrrrrrrr
Cheers Kristin

Thelma

Thelma Report 13 Aug 2010 11:25

My g/ grandfather was married three times.
the wives were,in marriage order
Sarah born 1836
Elizabeth born 1847
Emma born 1854
So they appear in the correct order
Changing Emma to 1834 instantly changes the order.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 13 Aug 2010 11:33

What have you entered as year of birth for each of the two wives? (Year of birth that is, not date of birth)

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 13 Aug 2010 11:34

Yes, SatNav, that is exactly what happened when I tested it yesterday.

Terence Michael

Terence Michael Report 14 Aug 2010 04:35

The year of birth for the second wife is 1944, which I entered (also the actual dob) The year of birth for the first wife is 1946. I had omitted to put in the date of the second marriage, but now that I have, the second wife is still being listed as first. I think I am missing something here, but I don't know what.
cheers Kristin

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 14 Aug 2010 06:44

Yes, that is how it works. You are not missing anything at all.

The YOB of the second wife is earlier than that of the first wife, hence she is listed first.

Terence Michael

Terence Michael Report 14 Aug 2010 06:48

Thanks Inspector, this is the only flaw on a wonderful site. Is there any way the "powers that be" can re-program so that people are put in their proper place? On my tree it looks like the second wife is the mother of the children, instead of the first wife being the mother of the children.
Cheers Kristin

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 14 Aug 2010 09:54

Send a message to GR support, suggesting a program modification. They seem to be more responsive to suggestions for improvements these days, although there are those members who have a hissy fit each time the next batch of program changes arrives.

See under Help, Contact us for the link.

Terence Michael

Terence Michael Report 14 Aug 2010 10:16

Thanks Inspector, will do.
Cheers Kristin

Terence Michael

Terence Michael Report 15 Aug 2010 02:07

YEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAA It worked. I put the birth year of the second wife in as 1947 anfd saved, then went back and edited to 1944 and save and she is now in the right place on the tree
Cheers Kristin